Monday, August 31, 2015

Days 138-139, This will destroy you

Part 5, Washington, Days 138-139
This will destroy you
Miles: 0
Total Miles: 2390.6
It hasn't stopped raining on 4 days and it won't stop for another 5 days. There are several other hikers holed up here at the Summit Inn, and many others have bailed to Seattle to try and wait out the storms. Others have decided to finish some other year. This was a record rainfall for late August on WA, and the wind and low temps create a hypothermia danger for hikers. The forecast calls for sub 40 degree temps and snow above 5,000 feet. My next section has 19,000 feet of elevation gain and I frequently hover above 6,000 feet. I'm dreading this hike to say the least. I'm not even sure why I'm going out. I'll be hiking out tomorrow. 
I've been relaxing in my room organizing my gear and food. I have few pictures since it's pouring outside. There's only a small gas station market to resupply from, so I got some food: 
The lobby is a popular hang out for hikers, anxiously gossiping about the storm. 
I got a calzone from the pizza place yesterday, and it filled me up for the day! This pizza place is one of the best spots on the trail. 
The next day I did the same routine. I hung out at the pizza place with Shepherd and Crunchmaster. There is a general air of uncertainty amongst the hikers here. 
There's not much to do around here but eat food. I visited the Ardvark Food Truck; a popular hiker spot.
They gave me a free beer and the burger was tasty. It had cream cheese, bacon, and a fried egg on it. 
Some hikers were avoiding the rain under the tents here. 
I spent the rest of the night chatting with Crumchmaster and Liability. It won't stop raining. I don't mind hiking in the rain, but camping is a different story. My tent door is broken and water splashes inside. The ground here is saturated with water and flooded, so the nights will be wet. With very cold temps and wind, this weather is dangerous. 
I guess we'll see what happens. I'll try my best to take pics in the rain and get some good blog posts up. Until next time, friends! 






3 comments:

  1. Wow...bummer on the rain deal. So how much further is the border??...quinn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work Brett! I finished yesterday. The fires are better now, you should be able to get to Canada if you skip around the blankenship closure. Best of luck with whatever you do!

    ReplyDelete