Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Day 117, Camp Nowhere

Part 4, Oregon, Day 117
Camp Nowhere
Miles: 20.48
Total Miles: 1996.68
It was really windy last night. I'm glad my tent didn't tear apart. I woke up at 5am and was hiking by 6:30am. I rain proofed my pack since the sky was dark with rain clouds.
When I got to the junction for Lava Lake Camp, I saw this sign:
As tempting as this was, only a half mile off trail, it seemed too early at 7am, plus I was trying to push in case it rained. 
Here's the North and Middle Sisters behind me:
I came to Mekenzie Pass and crossed the highway.
I entered a new wilderness.
This is where the trail became very tough. 
I had to walk uphill on sharp and loose lava rock for many miles. 
This trail really slowed me down. I was also very tired. My body ached and I felt slightly sick. Too much sun yesterday for sure. I put my head down and trudged on.
I began to get great views of Mt. Washington, hiking right under it. 
This part was a double whammy of bullshit; lava rock through a burn zone.
The trail finally leveled out and became more agreeable. I was so exhausted from hiking for 4 months that I had to take a few breaks.
Here is my best view of Mt. Washington.
I was close to my destination, but the last mile, as it usually does, dragged on forever.
I reached the 1 mile side trail to Big Lake Youth Camp. 
I arrived to this sign.
This camp is an Adventist Christian Summer Camp for teens. I made sure to be on my best behavior, even though I looked like a hobo.
I went to the lodge and picked up my resupply box. The staff was so kind and helpful. They offered a hiker area, showers, laundry, and even lunch, all for free! My guidebook says to give a donation, so I kicked down a few bucks.
I saw Tex and we walked down to the cafeteria. The many youths and parents running around seemed oblivious to our presence. 
We joined the older teen counsellors for a cafeteria style lunch of leftover food. Precious, delicious leftovers. 
It's all vegetarian food to shelter the kids from obesity. That's pesto pasta under my pizza. There was a ton of food, so we went back for much more. 
Afterward, I checked out the lake. 
They had a blob! I immediately became jealous of the campers. 
I went and organized my food with Tex and a few other hikers in our little hiker area. 
I mentioned to Tex that with all the bland brown buildings around and the constant loudspeaker announcements, this place reminded me of a cult. Tex quickly told me to not say the word "cult" in a place like this. It's like saying "bomb" on an airplane! But all joking aside, this camp was beyond gracious to us hikers. I took a shower (cold) and prepared to leave.
I came to this old dirt road, that I guess is an old wagon road.
I was on the trail for 50 feet when I saw a few hikers gathered near the woods. That can only mean two things. A dead body, or....trail magic!!
This was fresh magic. Cold and good beer. 
What a day of trail magic. I hiked on after a few beers with the others. 
I stopped and got water.
It was late so I camped right near the trail.
It feels like a storm is coming. I'd like to give a huge shout out to Big Lake Youth Camp for being awesome and showing lots of love to PCT hikers. They almost converted me! 
-g' night! 

2 comments:

  1. Pictures of Mt. Washington...wow..

    ReplyDelete
  2. BLYC was the best mid-day stop (food/resupply,laundry,shower)

    ReplyDelete