Monday, August 24, 2015

Day 132, Hopeless Wanderer

Part 5, Washington, Day 132
Hopeless Wanderer
Miles: 9.5
Total Miles: 2292.4
***days 126-132 are up. To continue where I left off, go to day 126. 
I barely slept last night. I was camped on a slope and my legs were cramping up all night. I think I slept 2 hours. I only needed to hike 9 miles into White Pass, so I didn't really care. I packed up and hiked out by 7am.
I was so tired that I completely missed a trail junction and walked 1 mile to Shoe Lake. I realized I was off trail and checked my maps. After hiking on the PCT for over 4 months, I can quickly sense when I'm off trail. I just get a feeling that something's not right. There weren't even shoes here, I looked everywhere! Just a gorgeous lake. I had to backtrack for awhile until I found the PCT again. 
At least I got to check out Shoe Lake, I guess. 
Back on the PCT, I continued hiking up the mountain.
I was thrilled when I got to the top and saw that the smoke had cleared enough to see Mt. Ranier. 
This mountain is such a beast. It's easily in my top-favorite mountain list and I can't wait to see more of it.
The whole area was magnificent. There was still a lot of smoke though. 
At one point, the trail hugged the side of a mountain and followed it for awhile. Very beautiful!
I started getting closer to Ranier.
As I got closer to the road, I had cell service and stopped to upload my blog posts. 
It took longer than I expected, but I finally reached the road and walked half a mile to White Pass. 
There's not much here; just a gas station that has some food and an inn. 
Lots if hikers were resupplying here and hanging out. 
I picked up my resupply package and organized my food. I also ate some food, of course!
We made the place look good for awhile:
As hikers rolled in, the fire news started to trickle inn. The trail I hiked to get here had closed just this morning. Many hikers were stuck near Mt. Adams. I learned that the fire I just hiked through and camped directly under, had indeed grown and caused the trail to close. That's why I experienced so much smoke and ash. Yikes! I got lucky by getting through before the closure though. The big problem is with the other news concerning the fires up north. There is no way to Canada for hikers. I will likely have to end my hike a bit early. I'll hike another 100 miles and see what happens. 
In the mean time, I was so tired from the last section, so I got a room at the inn. 
The room is really neat; sort of like a ski lodge room. 
I'm relaxing hardcore right now. I hike out tomorrow and huge rain storms are coming, which is great for the fires. I still get anxious hiking out here in bad weather though. This is a scary place to be in cold, wet weather during a long wilderness stretch. 
I'll just have to wait and see what happens. Whatever happens, I'll be happy with all the beauty I've been able to see. It's hard seeing these places covered in smoke. 


14 comments:

  1. The Knife's Edge looks awesome Brett! That mushroom you photographed is a bolete...none better. Hope your dizziness goes away and good health returns. I just looked up the Washington fire reports...the section ahead, and just NE of the PCT, is a mess. Be careful and take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike. I'm not sure where the dizziness is coming from, but I'll put it off until I'm off trail. The fires are forcing many hikers to end their hikes. I may have to end mine soon, but I'd rather see the north cascades in clear weather. I'll just wait and see.

      Delete
  2. It still amazes me, the trails that hug the mountain sides and kudos to the people who originated the trail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The origins of the trail are fascinating and I've seen first hand how massive an effort it is just to keep the trail maintained throughout the 3 states. It's crazy!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks buddy! I hope I get to Canada land. Things could get interesting...

      Delete
  4. Absolutely breathtaking photos. You are living one of my fantasies. Thanks for sharing with us so we can experience vicariously. One day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel, I'm very happy that you're reading and enjoying this blog. Keep reading, and I'll try and keep hiking.

      Delete
  5. Canada huh? Sorry I had to...shit that's a bummer bird. I'm holding out hope for you though, hopefully the rain kills the fires. There are French Fries and gravy in your future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sitting on top of Chinook Pass and your comment made me laugh pretty good! Thanks B-man. I'm gonna try and get Canadia.

      Delete
  6. hey brett i'm still catching up on everything so maybe it's resolved but if i had to guess i'd say your dizziness issue has been caused by dehydration. even if you feel fairly well hydrated, you're exerting yourself in hot temperatures. if i'm wrong, i'm wrong but if i'm right it's a relatively easy fix.
    you are still the man
    a-man

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very interesting, I haven't considered dehydration. It could be that. I'm too lazy to filter water these days, so if the source isn't a spring, I usually just don't drink water for many hours. Stupid, I know. I actually can't believe I haven't gotten Giardia yet. I have pressure in my head, so I think it could be a inner ear thing. Thanks for the comments Andrew.

      Delete
  7. Brett,
    Love to see you make it to Canada as we are all riding along with you. Might happen...might not due to mother nature. Keep us in the loop!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks man. It's pretty miserable out here.

    ReplyDelete