Saturday, August 29, 2015

Day 137, All We Want

Part 5, Washington, Day 137
All We Want
Miles: 9.6
Total Miles: 2390.6
***days 133-137 are up. To continue where I left off, go to day 133.
Things got pretty dicey last night and I barely slept. There was a steady rain and wind, and I was so tired when I set up my tent last night that I set up in a low spot. The rain water pooled under my tent and started to soak through the floor. It was a wet night. I was up at 5am and started packing up. I hiked out around 6am.
The sky was dark this morning, and I could feel a storm brewing. The forest was so dark that it felt like nighttime. I was in all of my rain gear. 
Luckily for me, I only had to hike 9 miles into Snoqualmie Pass where I'm taking a much needed zero. My head was aching so bad from fatigue and no sleep that I had to take some ibuprofen. 
I took a few pics while it was still lightly raining, but I had to put the camera away for a bit when the sky opened up and started pouring rain. 
The trail flooded after 30 minutes of heavy rain. I just kept moving to stay warm. Myself and all my gear was completely soaked. I put my sleeping bag and sleeping clothes into dry sacks, so I can always keep those crucial items dry. My rain gear did keep me warm though, as long as I kept moving.
I shuddered to think how it would be if I were days away from civilization in this weather, since it's supposed to rain for 5 days. Sustained and pouring rain with wind can be scary out here. 
Here's me soaked through. 
I met a guy who was unloading wood onto a dirt road. He warned me that 50 mph winds were coming. It's almost unbelievable how unlucky the weather has been lately. If it's not fires and smoke, it's thunderstorms and rain. Nature is punishing PCT hikers this year. Maybe it's revenge for allowing "Wild" to be published. 
I have no idea why this sign is here.
Here's nature devouring a trail sign:
I could see Interstate 90 below me. For a busy freeway, it looked like a pretty nice road. 
The rain would stop and start up again every few minutes. This is some tropical front that's battering lower Washington and upper Oregon. Unfortunately, it's barely affecting the fires up north. 
I climbed up the mountain and saw ski lifts.
Then I saw my destination. It was like seeing a mirage. Finally, a place to rest up and dry out.
The area was stunning.
I followed the road and came to the Chevron. There's only a few businesses here, but there's enough for hikers. I picked up my resupply box from Chevron, then went to the inn.
The Summit Inn is perfect. There's even a diner attached to it.
The food is like Denny's, I imagine, but a step below.
I finally found out where the hikers are. They're here at the Summit Inn hiding from the rain. Some have already stayed here too long and have to head out into the rain. I went next door to a small market and ate pizza with Bumble and Bonus Miles:
I'm back in my room and I plan to rest and do nothing all day. Stay tuned for a post about me zeroing and possibly double zeroing to wait out the rain as long as I can. I'm also waiting for news about the fires. Until then, later gators!

5 comments:

  1. Glad you are in a safe and dry spot. Rest that weary mind, glad you came upon more hikers, as I am sure you were feeling like that everyone had left you alone. Funny comment about The Wild...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're the man Brett!!! You have overcome smoke, rain, bees, a heavy pack, solo anxiety, and trail food.
    I agree with your opinion about "Wild"...the PCT does not deserve that kind of PR.
    Try to maintain your health. The Trail will still be there in the future if the fires close it this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike. Since I'm usually alone on my hike, I use the blog as a way of venting. When I re-read my posts, I feel like I'm coming off as a big baby, but it's crazy how bipolar long distance hiking can be. One day it's so great and the next it's miserable. I'm gonna go for Canada, but I might have hitch around the fire.

      Delete
  3. Hang in there Brett. I hope you are taking a rest for a few days. Sounds like you really need it. I am glad you are getting at least a glimpse of how beautiful Washington is. If it works to take a boat up Lake Chelan to Stehekin, you will really enjoy that. Lake Chelan is a beauty and it will take you to the trail just below the North Cascades. You will pass right behind a spectacular spot where Derek and I like to camp & kayak. Hope you can get there. The North Cascades Highway is reopening today so I sure hope that is a good sign for the trail too. Your photos are beautiful and you are awesome, brave and resilient. Canada or not, everyone who knows you is proud of you. Take good care out there and I will hope that Washington comes through for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha "Pie for the People" also in city of Joshua Tree CA. 🍕

    ReplyDelete