Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Day 107, Heavy Work

Part 4, Oregon, Day 107
Heavy Work
Miles: 25.72
Total Miles: 1755.22
Long distance hiking can be a lot like work. You develop a routine, wake up early, hike all day, and camp at night. Today was just plain hard work. 
The full (ish) moon was out last night, and because of the heat, using my tent's rain fly was out of the question, so I blindfolded myself with a bandana. I ended up sleeping ok, but I felt tired when I woke up at 6am. I had a late start and hit the trail by 6:50am. I knew it was going to be a tough day.
I was so sluggish this morning. My pack was unusually heavy. I almost checked it for rocks, as thru hikers often put rocks in each other's packs as a joke. I guess I packed too much food, and it was slowing me down. 
I saw Pine Stick, who was also feeling tired. We're all starting to get a bit weary by now, he says. After all, we've been hiking for months.
I took more breaks than usual, and at each one I almost nodded off to sleep. I felt worn out, but these feelings can be normal coming off of a zero day. This was such a strange morning. The trail passed through private property all day, and I crossed over a dozen roads; paved, gravel, and dirt. It was hot and muggy, but the sky was covered on a strange shroud, which I think is smoke from the fires burning in Oregon. 
I got some water from the outflow at Hyatt Lake. Pine Stick caught up and we hung out for a bit. He encountered a large Black Bear outside his tent last night, which was only a few miles away from me! He tried picking up my pack and was stunned at how heavy it was. I feel so stubborn about my pack weight, but I've already lugged this crap 1700 miles, so why not a bit more?
Once again, water sources are far between in Southern Oregon. I filled up at this water fountain; a rare treat on trail.
I stopped and sat on a log every few miles. I can't remember being this tired. My body wasn't hurting yet, but my pack was oppressive. I wondered how far i'd go today.
For hours, this is what the trail looked like:
The trail wasn't very attractive this afternoon. All I wanted to do was sleep. 
I stopped at this strange canal to get water.
I sat for awhile. Here's me being lazy and sleepy:
I crossed Grizzly Creek bridge.
At this point, I'd hiked around 22 miles and I was close to quitting time, which would be early so I could rest my quad and feet. I listened to music to distract myself. I made it the spring I was looking for; the last water for 10 miles.
This was great water. I've cold and clear.
I met a hiker named Sunshine at the spring. We talked for awhile before I hiked on. I filled 4 liters to dry camp with, since it's been so hot, so my pack weight increased by nearly 10 pounds. 
I went 3 miles and found a flat spot to camp in this creepy forest. The Mosquitos are swarming, but these are nothing compared to the Sierra mozzies. 
If you follow me to the food laboratory, I'll blow your fragile minds...
I call this "The GangBang." 
Mashed potatoes, spam, pepperoni, bacon bits, cheese, and Doritos. 
Here's what this unholy meal looks like:
It looks offensive, I know, but it tastes like victory. Hopefully I get my hiker legs back tomorrow, and I also hope that my quad is healed. I need to rebound in a big way. Thanks for reading! 

1 comment: