Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Day 123, For Me this is Heaven

Part 4, Oregon, Day 123
For Me this is Heaven
Miles: 31.3
Total Miles: 2144.4
It rained and stormed all night. I awoke throughout the night, getting very little needed sleep. The water outside was pooling up around my tent and the inside slowly became as wet as the outside. At 6am I waited a bit to see if the rain would stop, but it didn't and I put on all of my rain gear and stuffed my soaking muddy tent into my pack. I hiked out into the dreary morning at 7:30am.
It was both miserable and beautiful out.
The forest felt very mysterious and ominous, shrouded in the misty fog.
I was in a foul mood because I was cold and wet and missing the views. 
I vowed to finish Oregon today. I would do whatever it took to hike over 30 miles to the border at Cascade Locks.
I was utterly exhausted today. Being wet only perpetuated my fatigue. I began to feel sick again too. I felt dizzy and my head was hot. 
I was determined to get to town. I wouldn't spend tonight inside my soaked tent. Luckily, the sun began to peak through the clouds and the wind and rain stopped.
I reached the alternate trail through Eagle Creek. It was roughly the same mileage as the PCT and went to the same place, but this trail was rumored to be gorgeous. With the sun beginning to show, I decided to take the alternate.
The trail plunged down steeply thousands of feet. 
After awhile I was in a green and verdant canyon.
I started seeing many day hikers and weekend backpackers. The trail began to get steep and waterfalls started to appear.
The trail dropped straight down hundred of feet. There were cables installed to help those who are scared of heights.
I turned a corner and saw something f I've been waiting eagerly for; Tunnel Falls. 
The trail passes through the waterfall. I was so very impressed by this magnificent waterfall.
I was hoping one of the tourists would fall in. This trail really got the adrenaline pumping. 
Here's my approach through the falls:
I could have stayed here for hours, but I had many miles to go. There were many other waterfalls on the trail. 
I couldn't believe how many people were on the trail the closer I got to civilization. It had to be many hundreds. 
I already felt sick, and almost gagged at the strong cologne and perfume scents. I'm sure my smell did the same to others.  I felt so tired and sick by late afternoon, but I had to march on. The last stretch was a road walk.
I was so relieved to reach this sign:
I came to the Bridge of the Gods and the Columbia River. They were more beautiful than I could have imagined. 
I ate dinner at a diner with Guino and Sunkist, and went to the RV park near the river to set up my tent and dry it out.
I then went with a bunch of hikers to the brewery on the river where thru hikers get a free pint. 
Here's a picture of a picture of all of us relaxing there: this is myself, Guino, Sunkist, At Home, Wild Pony, C. Monster, Stummy, and Occupy.
Afterwards I walked in the fading light to an island on the Columbia River and looked at The Bridge of the Gods that marked the border between Oregon and Washington. I sat until well after dark reflecting on my hike through Oregon.
As I sat there exhausted and sore, it suddenly came upon me that I had just finished hiking through Oregon. I thought of all the highs and the lows I'd experienced in my swift charge through the beautiful state. I felt in that moment that I'd grown as a person and as a hiker.  I felt ready for my final challenge and the triumphs and hardships it would offer. I felt proud and I felt tired. I had arrived in Washington.



12 comments:

  1. Wow...yer a fast hiker.....amazing how good a beer is at end of a day hiking...great pics!!!!...cheers!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A beer out here at the end of the day is amazing, especially when all I'm usually drinking is muddy water.

      Delete
  2. Welcome to Washington Brett. My beautiful adopted home State. They are starting to get those Chelan fires under control so I will keep my fingers crossed that the trail remains open and you can experience all of the BEAUTIFUL Cascades. Final stretch...so excited for you. Can't wait to read about your adventures in Washington. Take good care out there!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though Washington is on fire, it's still incredibly beautiful. the further north I get, the more beautiful it gets. I'm unsure how far I'll be able to get though, unfortunately.

      Delete
  3. We all appreciate the effort that you put into preparing your daily blog even though you are tired after a long day of hiking and all the challenges that you face pulling big miles each day. Wonderful photographs of Oregon. Enjoy your walk through Washington!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike, it's been a bitch keeping this blog up, but it's also become one of the best parts of my hike. I'll keep it going as long as I can hike.

      Delete
  4. IT seems like you flew through Oregon, can't wait to visit with you about it when you come home. The damp raining days are what Oregon is all about. It gets very depressing sometimes. But Oregon can't be beat for its beauty. Welcome Washington.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Northern Oregon is one of the most beautiful areas on the whole trail. I miss it, actually.

      Delete
  5. Proud of you Brett. Few could overcome the elements and challenges of being out in the wilderness as long as you have. Enjoy the state of Washington...Onward!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice! That waterfall trail was THE BEST! I'm so sorry no tourists fell in for you. Can't wait to see Washington...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tunnel Falls was amazing. Washington is sad right now. It's on fire.

      Delete
  7. After 2x thru Tunnel Falls on the Eagle Creek trail, I'll pass. It was soooo rocky. But still a pretty area. Going over the Benson Plateau, then dropping 3K to CL was easier. ADL

    ReplyDelete