Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Day 121, Chance of a Lifetime

Part 4, Oregon, Day 121
Chance of a Lifetime
Miles: 22.1
Total Miles: 2094.5
I woke up early and my knee was on fire. I think I'm sleeping on it wrong, but it's been throbbing in the night for awhile now. I packed up and got to the trail late today, at 7am. I was in no hurry today.
The forest was thick and dark again; really cool to walk through. 
I was close to my first destination; Little Crater Lake.
I took a quarter mile side trail to see this little wonder. 
It would have looked much better later in the day with the sunshine, but it was still awesome.
It's all crystal clear spring water and ice cold. 
This was cooler than big Crater Lake! I drank some of the water. Best water ever...
I wasn't rushing today because I planned to only hike 21 miles to Timberline Lodge. The problem, however, which I failed to consider, was that the trail would climb 3,000 feet in 10 miles of uphill. 
I fetched some water from this spring and started my climb. It was brutal. 
I caught my first good views of Mt. Hood. 
I was headed to the base of the mountain on the other side of the canyon.
I crossed a highway at Barlow Pass.
A camp table; a hiker's best friend.
I entered the Mt. Hood Wilderness.
I charged uphill for hours in the heat. No pictures were taken because it sucked. I emerged at the top with 2 miles straight uphill in soft sand. It was like climbing and endless StairMaster. 
Mt. Hood was in front of me. This is an impressive mountain, though I can't wait to see it from the North side.
I crossed a river which I had planned to get water from. It looked like chocolate milk. I passed on the water...
I arrived at Timberline Lodge, which is nearly on trail. Tourists were everywhere.
This hotel's exterior is the same used in the film,  "The Shining," as the Overlook Hotel. 
I went into the lodge and sat down with some hikers. This is a cool, but confusing place. I found my way to the Blue Ox bar. 
The smell of pizza drew me in. Such a cool little place. I ordered this magnificent  beauty:
This pizza was fantabulous.
Afterwards I wandered around the lodge.
This corridor looks like it's from The Shining:
All work and no play makes Brett a dull boy...
I think I've mentioned this before, but I think Smokey Bear is really creepy.
I sat on their nice couches and charged my electronics.
At about 8pm, I looked for a stealth camp spot behind the hotel, but I looked at Mt. Jefferson for a bit. I was just there!
Tomorrow I do breakfast at one of the most legendary breakfast joints on the whole trail... Tune in.


3 comments:

  1. You have experienced Oregon in so many ways, and in so many places I didn't even know existed. Have been to Timberline as it isn't that far from Portland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would agree with your assessment of Smoky the Bear. Onward

    ReplyDelete
  3. Timberline, yea. Hiked in from Timothy Lake to catch a very tasty lunch buffet. Was dreading the hike up from Barlow Pass due to comments from other hikers, but found most was shaded and the sandy part wasn't as long as anticipated. Camped in the small trees just S of the lodge. Caught the breakfast buffet before hiking out. Worth every penny.

    ReplyDelete