Saturday, August 29, 2015

Day 134, I'll Remember You

Part 5, Washington, Day 134
I'll Remember You
Miles: 25.9
Total Miles: 2331.67
I thought that today was one of the most beautiful days on trail, so get ready for a lot of pictures. You may want to wear a helmet; because your heads might explode.
I woke up to a cold morning at 5:30am. I felt good this morning and was ready to hike. I hit the trail at 6:30 am. 
The trail opened up early and stayed open for the entire day. 
After a big morning climb, I reached the top of the mountain and was greeted by Mt. Rainier. 
This mountain is so awesome. It's close to the top of my top 3; those others being Shasta, and Jefferson, in no particular order. 
Almost an hour later, the smoke came in and the mountain was completely invisible. I feel very lucky to have had such great views. 
The smoke started to pour into the area from the south and east. The smell of smoke was strong too. I was still extremely impressed by the views. I was excited to enter Mt. Rainier National Park. 
National parks are always so clean and well maintained. Plus, and I can't believe I'm saying this, I was hoping to see day hikers. I've been solitary lately, that I just want to chat with other hikers.
Right before Dewey Lake, I saw about 20 young backpackers hiking toward me in a big line. I said hello and talked with a few of them. They all apologized for the smoke, as if it was their fault, and said that this wilderness was usually much more beautiful. I told them I thought it was gorgeous anyways.
Another big climb came next. Today was a tough day in terms of elevation gain. Washington is very rugged. 
As I approached Chinook Pass, I saw many day hikers. They were everywhere. 
Remember the person who wrote on the William O Douglas wilderness sign yesterday? He's back! 
He struck again. This person really loves William O Douglas. He wrote on the back of this sign.
I walked into the parking area of Chinook Pass to throw away my trash. 
I sat down near the horse trailer parking area and ate some food. 
There were many people about. A trailer parked in front of me and two ladies got out of the truck and tied their horses up near me. They asked me if I was a thru hiker, and then gave me some homemade blackberry pie and some milk. Trail magic at its finest! 
They insisted I take a picture with the horses. 
I couldn't help but laugh. I thanked them and hiked on at 2 pm. I passed and talked to many local hikers. I was congratulated a lot for making it this far. I found out that the fires up north are terrible right now. It seems like the trail won't re-open this year. The smoke was so bad here at Chinook Pass that I couldn't see too far into the canyons.
I began my 4th big climb of the day. I passed Sheep Lake.
There were no sheep...
I then hiked over Sourdough Pass. I looked everywhere, but couldn't find any sourdough. 
A day hiker did give me this bar though.
I didn't need or want it, but took it just to make him feel needed. The rest of the hike was a long and beautiful ridge walk.
The smoke began to dissipate the further north I hiked. I thought constantly about the fires up north and what I would do when i arrived at Snoqualmie Pass. I did not arrive at a solution. I'm just going to wait and see. 
As you can see, the scenery became very special. 
I crossed over the last pass of the day and stumbled upon a herd of goats!
They all ran as I came up. There must have been 50 of them, no exaggeration.
As I crossed under them on the trail, one of them kicked a huge boulder down the hill and it crashed down just feet away from me... It's what I've feared all along. These goats are plotting to kill me. 
I walked this last stretch just as the sun was setting over the hills.
What an unbelievably beautiful place...
I set up my tent near a spring. I cooked some mashed potatoes and put some Doritos in there... I'm so sick of trail food, but I'll gladly eat it all day if it means I can make it to Canada. 5 straight days of rain are coming, but with it lightning and high winds. I'll just hike for now, and let the chips fall where they may. This summer has been quite an adventure no matter where the trail ends.












3 comments:

  1. You're right...what a gorgeous day, and that is hard to say from an Oregonian at heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trail Magic, goats, and Mt. Rainier...it doesn't get much better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ow my head! Amazing pics and you even got both horse and goat pics in!! Couldn't make ME happier! Glad you had such beauty/comfort as it sounds like yesterday was really stormy in WA...Can't wait to hear that you are safe...you should let your family shoulder the anxiety for you!

    ReplyDelete