Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Day 120, Deep Forest

Part 4, Oregon, Day 120
Deep Forest
Miles: 30.19
Total Miles: 2073.1
Today was a bit different than previous days. I had no views, but I had an awesome forest hike. Usually, hiking all day in tree cover becomes monotonous, but today was pretty sweet.
I slept so hard last night. I needed it. I had crazy dreams. I woke up to the sound of snoring hikers. I hate sleeping around others because I wake up early and I don't like to wake them. I packed up quietly and was hiking by 6:45. 
The trail was mellow today and mostly flat. I was making good miles. 
The iPhone camera has a hard time capturing the forest because of all the light being scattered, so I'm trying to learn how to photograph it better. 
At first I was pretty bored with this trail today. I kept hoping that some view was beyond the next corner, but there was only more trees. I did walk through a burn/clear cut area. This was not pretty. 
There's really not much to comment on this morning. Business as usual. Below is the one time the trail opened up.
I saw zero northbound thru hikers today, and very few people in general. 
I saw this water source and decided to pass on it. I'm far too lazy to filter water these days, and this didn't meet my no filter standards. 
I crossed many dirt roads today. Sometimes I wonder where they go. Mostly, I wonder what dirt is made out of... This road had a helpful arrow pointing towards the trail.
In the afternoon, the forest started to get very pretty.
Here's a pic of me being flabbergasted:
I was crushing the miles today. As the forest became deeper and darker, the trees and moss shined with a deep earthy green.
I entered a long awaited forest!
This forest was very fancy; there were signs all over the place.
I passed a paved forest service road.
Here's where I'm going, in case you missed it:
I arrived at my water source for the evening. 
It looked gross, but after nearly 30 miles I was not choosy. I gulped a liter without filtering.
If I get Giardia, it's from here:
A mile later, I found a cold and clear water spring. The water was spectacular. I dumped the green algae water and loaded up on the good stuff.
I saw Timothy Lake through the trees and found a camp spot right near the lake above a beach. This is such a beautiful place. 
Of course, I watched the sunset.
There is some serious beauty going on here. 
One more.
Until tomorrow...

1 comment:

  1. Forgot to congratulate you on your 2000 miles, can't imagine how that feels. Those dirt roads are old logging roads. If you go off road, anywhere in Oregon they appear. They crisscross all over, have been lost on many of them.

    ReplyDelete