Sunday, September 6, 2015

Day 140, My Only Friend, The End...

Part 5, Washington, Day 140
My Only Friend, The End...
Miles: 0
Total Miles: 2390.6

I'm off trail and my hike is over.
Sorry to keep you all hanging, but it's hard to end this blog in such a way; this blog, along with all of you reading it, has been my companion for the last 5 months, and it's tough to say goodbye. It's been very difficult being off trail. I'm writing this last entry while hiking on a trail back home. I'll write a bit then move on and write some more.
Why did I end my hike with only 250 miles until Canada? I still don't really know. If you followed this blog, you'll know a few reasons, but for the most part, I was done hiking. I was mentally over it. My decision to finish at Snoqualmie Pass was probably too hasty and emotionally dictated, but here I am. I keep telling myself that what's important is the journey, not the destination. I still feel a bit empty. I just miss the trail. 
Hiking 2,400 miles this summer on the PCT was one of the best and hardest things I've ever done, yet it was so simple. Wake up each day and walk North. I've never experienced so much beauty before. The hardships I experienced, and overcoming them, was the most beautiful experience of all. 

I really don't see this is the end of anything though. This is only the start of a brand new day. 
I had the time of my life this summer and I'll never forget it. We should all be comforted by the fact the real adventure still exists in this day and age. If you choose to take the first step, you'll find that you're capable of things you never thought possible. 
I'd like to thank each and every one of you readers who went with me on this adventure. I was never truly alone thanks to your interest and comments. Stay tuned for gear reviews and a review of the whole hike. Until my next long distance hike (Continental Divide Trail?) later gators!
We certainly do live in a beautiful world...

14 comments:

  1. I couldn't be prouder of you. Could you just keep writing a blog so I don't have to change my routine. A big hug when you get to Carmel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Brett! The journey was epic and we all enjoyed following your blog. Like the Jim Morrison lyric to close it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO, SO proud of you. Hiking 2400 miles...you belong to a very small, elite group of adventurers that can say that. Sorry that Washington threw you so many roadblocks! Your blog was the best read I have had in a long time. I will look forward to your next adventure blog and how about a collection of those SPECTACULAR photographs? You have also inspired the likes of Derek and me to get back out to do some "real" hiking. Cheers to you and whatever is next on your list of challenges to tackle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What blogs am I supposed to read now?? I guess this isn't about me. What a journey Bird, truly epic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats dude! Very interested on your overall take, things you would have done differently, and your gear reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am incredibly grateful that you made the huge effort to share all this with us. I am just blown away by this whole journey and it has been a huge enjoyment for me since I heard about this blog from Pat's Facebook way back when I was on paternity leave in April!! You are a hiking beast and it is good to see you back on badass Soberanes (which probably seems easy to you now...)
    Tim Cushing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on 2400 big ones. Sizable accomplishment for anyone. I can relate to leaving the trail which is what I did in 2014 at Tuolumne Meadows with a mysterious condition. Did the final 1700 miles in 2015 and went through Wa in late July finishing in Canada Aug 10. Had to detour around Mt Adams fire and the Chelan fires; hiking back to Stehekin from Rainey Pass then north again. Washington, IMHO, is the real wild card for NB thru's. If it isn't fire, it's rain and/or snow. But it's a gorgeous state. Good luck on your future hikes, and thanks for the blog. ADL

    ReplyDelete
  8. are you going to do it again??

    ReplyDelete
  9. <> Calvin and Hobbes last strip. 1995 31 Dec
    Thanks for your Blog. ASTOUNDINGLY good,. 🌽

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a Magical World out there, Hobbes old buddy. For some reason that didn't make it into my comment. So here it is. 🌽

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. brett, where are the gear reviews and final thoughts???

    a-man

    ReplyDelete
  13. Words are escaping me at the moment. Your journey was beautiful, thank you for sharing it with me. You are an inspiration. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and for this wonderful comment. your words make this blog and the time I spent doing it completely worthwhile and meaningful. stay tuned for 2018 hike blog part 2!

      Delete