Thursday, August 6, 2015

Day 113, Stay Golden

Part 4, Oregon, Day 113

 Miles: 12
Stay Golden
Total Miles: 1904.10

Days 107-113 are up.
I woke up this morning to a stunning sunrise over Crescent Lake.
Mist was rising from the look and it looked awesome. 
I packed up in the early cold and hiked out at 6:10 am. I had to find my way back up the ridge, across the road, and back onto the Oregon Skyline Trail. It was 12 miles to Shelter Cove Resort where I'd  resupply. 
This bridge looked out of place:
At least I was headed the right way.
I entered a new wilderness and a new forest.
I felt so tired and my legs were sore. Here's my tired morning selfie:
The morning hike was pretty boring.
I passed a lake with a great view of Diamond Peak:
About 2 miles from my destination the forest drastically changed. 
This was the greenest and most verdant forest I'd been in. I could see this beautiful creek below me and it followed the trail. 
This creek is called Trapper Creek. 
I crossed some train tracks and followed a road to Shelter Cove Resort, which seems to be an RV/boating destination. 
I went the general store and saw Houdini.  The store was vastly expensive and the only food they really offered was a hotdog, which is perfectly fine.
I organized my resupply with the other hikers and we all kind if sat around and hung out for the afternoon. 
This guy was offering rides to town and he looked familiar. I asked him if he was "Balls," and he said yes! Balls is a legendary long distance hiker. He told us about the trail for a while. It's cool to talk to a hiker with this much experience. 
I did my laundry and took a shower.
It was such a beautiful day today. Shelter Cove is great. It's very peaceful and the people here were really kind to the hikers.
As more and more hikers showed up and the afternoon drew on, the party started.
A lot of really expensive cheap beer was consumed. We sat by a fire and then went to the dock to watch the sunset over the lake.
It was so beautiful out tonight. 
I ended my night hanging out in Avo and Nola's tent. Here's Cookie Monster, Nola, and Avo: 
I managed to stumble to my tent and fell asleep watching the star filled sky. Shelter Cove was an awesome stop. I got all my stuff done and had a good time with great people. Oregon is really starting to kick ass.


4 comments:

  1. Shelter Cove looked super relaxing. And from my last comments about the mountains showing the timber cut, you caught it in your pics on this blog. Glad you got to party, it had to be a great diversion from worrying about your legs. Yes, parts of Oregon are absolutely gorgeous and green.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brett...your determination is impressive. The world would be a much better place if people could learn to to be a fraction as resilient as you have proven to be. So proud of you!! Rain and Oregon are synonymous but it is pretty.Thankfully the beautiful State of Washington is coming up soon. I have to say that your meals out there are cracking me up. I told your dad to send you some granola or kale chips or something...ha! I hope the rest of Oregon is fire free, and beautiful. I'm rooting for you. Take good care out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Lauren! I feel like I'm complaining too much in my blog posts, but it's been so beautiful lately, and I can't wait for Washington, even though it's on fire. You should see what some other hikers eat out here. I've seen hikers eat whole sticks of butter, and drink olive oil straight up. It's all about those calories. Kale is a dirty word out here! Take care and keep reading.

      Delete
  3. Brett, What exactly is cheap expensive beer? Seems like an oxymoron. Keep it going!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete