Saturday, May 30, 2015

Day 45, Get High

Part 2, The Sierra Nevada, Day 45
Get High
Miles: 19.2
PCT Mile: 735.35

(Note: I just got service on an 11,000 foot high peak and I'm sitting on a cliff in the dark and wind to get these posts out. Days 39,40,41,44, and 45 are out, there are NO posts for days 42,43, as I spent them waiting at Kennedy Meadows for ice on Mt Whitney to melt. Finally, I will respond to each one of your lovely comments first chance I get. Thanks for reading!)

I woke up at 5 am on the beach by the river and learned a quick fact about the Sierras. It's damn cold in the morning. I jumped back inside my tent to wait for the sun. When I got up, my tent and all gear outside was covered in frost and ice!
I guess this is another reason my mileage will drop in the Sierra. I packed up leisurely, and made some coffee. It's so nice here, whereas in the desert, I just wanted to wake up and get as far as possible. I hiked out at 7:15am. 
I started hiking up Cow Canyon and saw lots of bones. Could it be cows? Too small. Sounds like false advertising.
Water would be scarce today, so my day was planned around that. I only carry 2 liters, and max out at 4 now, so I only need a little at a time. I filled up at Cow Creek spring:
I was walking up all day, and my pack was letting me know it. This heavy pack weight is really making the hiking a chore. I'm struggling to even get 10 miles in by mid-day, but I think most hikers have the same issue.
Below in the distance is the Meadow I camped in last night:
I stopped at yet another spring to fill up my water. I'm really thirsty lately, and it's hot out. Hopefully that sun is melting the ice further up.
I came upon my first highlight view of the day. It's amazing how quickly I went from desert to forest. 
When I passed this, the other side of the mountain held an even better view, maybe the best of the PCT so far. There were mountains as far as I could see, and I was only looking West. I'd soon turn North.
It was really nice hiking today. I had a smile the whole morning. 
I stopped and ate lunch, also to rest my feet. The pack weight is destroying my feet and I have a new problem. My left shoulder aches so bad after 8 or so miles that I have to stop. No biggie. Unlike the desert, stopping here ain't no thang.
Gimme a break on my lunch guys, it's all I have: ( it's just "meat" and cheese on s tortilla...)
I had to at least get over 17 miles today, so I got going. Death Canyon Creek was my goal, and I needed water from its spring to camp with. I was already low and it was hot out.
(I just had to retreat into my tent because of the cold, but when I'm done, it's back to the cliff to publish!)
I passed through many meadows. This was the calm before the storm, as a massive climb loomed.
I reached the spring and there were many hikers there, most of them I'd never seen before. Weird how this happens. Lots of people were filling up in the very slow flow. Others were relaxing in the shade before the climb. 
Because of the traffic, I spent nearly an hour collecting and filtering 4 precious liters to take 2,000 feet up and camp with. I didn't even try to keep the silt out of the water, but I did put bleach in it. Too many filthy hikers had there hands in water. I began the climb and the views were staggering.
This climb was tough. Full water and food in the heat. I was gulping air because of the altitude, and my shoulder was killing me. I had to rest 3 times in the 5 mile climb, and I wasn't the only one. It was tough on all the hikers I saw. The views made up for it though.
I reached the top and it was amazing. I have a panoramic view of the Owens Valley on one side, and the Sierra peaks on the other. There were dramatic cliffs to look out from, and there were many camp spots. I also had a bit if cell service on a cliff, so I called my family for the first time in awhile.
The best moments came after sunset as I was publishing these blogs. Just unreal views.
Below is one of my favorite pictures I've taken so far:
I am utterly exhausted, but I vowed to update the blog, so I'll be out on the cliff until I do. It's bitter cold, but I can't help but be excited for each new day in this environment. At 11,000 feet, I'm higher than I've ever been on trail so far. Until tomorrow! ( I'll probably go dark on cell connection again for a few days.)



6 comments:

  1. So glad to see you publish again. I look forward to the new post and pics. Thanks for sharing this with all of us. I was thinking the more weight you lose the more you can carry in your pack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're doing great Brett! Hiking solo has advantages and you are you own best buddy. Happy to hear that you are taking the side trip to Whitney. You can pick up a wag bag at the Crabtree Ranger Station...as the area in the Whitney area is a "no shit zone". If you set up a base camp at Guitar Lake you can leave your gear there and pick it up on the way back down from the summit. Be sure to take all the food out of your pack as the bears there mean business. If you set out from Guitar at 2am you can summit Whitney by 5am and see the sun rise over the Owens Valley...nothing more beautiful. Also you will not see too many people if you get there early. You know there will be a lot of snow at 14,500' so your crampons and poles will come in handy. Dress warm, be safe, and savor every step!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brett..wow isn't a big enough word..what we are experiencing thru your hike and pictures will stay forever. The Smithsonian Museum of Natural History had an exhibit of photos across America. Hands down..yours would fit right in and better than most

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to see your smiling face and other incredible pictures. I'm enjoying your journey, and looking forward to reading more! Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Getting used to the poles at all? Got any band aids for your callus? Tighten your belt to reduce the strain on your shoulder? Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What album are you blasting on your iPod most frequently?

    ReplyDelete