Thursday, May 14, 2015

Day 29, The House of the Moon

Part 1, The Desert, Day 29
The House of the Moon
Miles: 12.55
PCT Mile: 478.2
Crazy rainy day people! I'm writing this in an outhouse to shelter myself from the rain, and I've had a few, so gimme a break here. Thanks!
Last night sucked again. The cars on the road woke me up constantly, and sinceI slept without my rain fly, by 11 pm my sleeping bag and, well, everything was soaked from condensation. I butknew rain was coming and only planned on going 12 miles to Casa de Luna, a famous trail angel house in Green Valley, so in order to beat the rain, I packed up and hiked out by 5:30 am. It was cold and foggy,  pretty out.
I hiked in the thick fog under these electrical towers and they made a creepy crackling sound in the fog.
There was only a few feet of visibility for awhile as I ascended up the mountain pass.
I often brush my teeth on the trail to save time and also pass the time.
The trail was so monotonous today. It was a day where I could see where I was going for miles, but it took forever to get there, which can be frustrating. Plus, once l started downhill, my feet ached 
badly. I stopped to put my rain jacket on since it started raining, and realized I dropped my bandanna, again! So I dropped my pack and walked backwards a mile looking for it. After awhile, I saw Zig Zag, a hiker from New Zealand, and he picked it up for me. That's one awesome Kiwi! I came upon a cache called "The Oasis," a strange cache managed by the Andersons, the trail Angels who I was hiking to.
They had sodas and water, but it was cold so I signed the register and left. Strange place though. I was hiking fast since rain drops were falling and the wind was picking up.
Just when I could barely walk anymore, I saw the road far below. When I reached the bottom, Legend was there with an RV. 
He invited all the hikers in for coffee, then gave us a ride 2 miles to the Anderson's house, called, Casa De Luna. We squeezed in the RV and were off.
We reached Casa de Luna, right as it started to pour. I was greeted by Teri Anderson, who's been a trail angel here for 16 years hosting hikers every night during hiker season. She gave everyone a hug, then took our picture. I set up my tent in the manzanita forest out back.
There was coolers packed with beer, and everyone squeezed into the garage to get out of the rain. It was a wet party atmosphere. 
I retreated for a bit to my tent to read while it rained. I briefly opened up the food laboratory.
This was gross, but strangely necessary.
Joe Anderson, the other trail angel had this tattoo, so we talked some shit.
Hikers poured in all day soaked, and it soon became a very wet hiker party. 
Here's Joe Anderson, a great dude.
At night, Terri cooked taco salad, and everyone lined up to get some.
As I write this, hikers are sheltered in the garage smoking too much weed, or drinking under a tarp, or inside sipping coffee, and I'm writing this post in a privy! It's the only private space except for my tent, which I hope isn't flooded! Hopefully this the storm stops tomorrow, cause o have a fire detour to get around. I meant for this post to be much more detailed and longer, but I'm wet and shivering on the cold, and it was hard to document the whole day. It's been cool here though, but I would have liked to see this place on better weather, but thems the breaks. 

8 comments:

  1. I'd take soggy over scorched! You're a lucky dude. How bout a bio/stat sheet on some of the thru hikers you've met? Just thinking of my own entertainment, you could regurge the trail guilde to me and I'd love it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to feature some hikers down the road a bit, but I'm being careful for now, because some hikers like to remain anonymous and get cranky if their pic is taken. Some hikers are cool, some are dicks. I will do this shortly though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a trip. Don't be hanging out with that Dodger dude. As Stadille taught you back in the day...Dodgers are evil and can't be trusted. Weather should be pretty good for the next few weeks and beyond. Keep the pics coming

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding. He either lost a bet to have to get that tattoo, is a convicted felon, is mentally ill, or any combo. Ditto for the pictures.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful photos! Do you have a puffy jacket like everyone else? Be a trend setter. Love ya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a warm jacket, but it's not that puffy. Most hikers have puffy down jackets, but I have a synthetic jacket. It's not as warm, but it can get wet, whereas down jackets are useless when wet.

      Delete
  5. It's amazing how outsiders take care of the pct community

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe some of the kindness I'm seeing towards me and other hikers by total strangers. It's changing my perspective about life, in many ways.

      Delete