Monday, May 18, 2015

Day 33, Hardcore Zero

Part 1, The Desert, Day 33
Hardcore Zero
Miles: 0
PCT Mile: 558.5
I didn't take many pics today, and I don't really have much to talk about because I did not do much. I stayed up pretty late (way past hiker midnight) last night soaking my feet in the hot tub here, watching tv, and reading. It was pretty awesome. I could barely walk, so laying in this bed was the correct choice. The day felt like the first proper zero I've taken on this hike. I did have hiker chores to attend to, so I knocked them out around noon. I washed my water bladders and replaced the containers so they no longer taste like frog water.
I back-flushed my water filter, something I try and do whenever I'm in town. It's neat how much dirt comes out the back when I flush it. It makes me feel like I'm really doing something out here.
I prepared my maps for the next section, and I still have to map out my water sources for the next 150 miles. Getting water on the trail is like a big treasure hunt, that you can die in, so I need to plan well. I washed my filthy clothes in this motel basement:
The staff here are so nice to hikers. I recieved a special PCT Hiker rate, and when I was looking in the hiker box in the lobby for laundry detergent, the lady at the front desk gave me some soap, no charge. My biggest task though, was to resupply for the next 8 days, which is a big-time food carry. The market being a mile and a half away, I wasn't too thrilled about walking there, but I saw a sweet bike in the lobby and was told it was there for hiker use. What an exciting turn of events!
I put my empty pack on my shoulders and mounted this trusty steed. I briefly posed for a thug life selfie in the parking lot before riding dirty down Tehachapi Boulevard:
The bike ride around Tehachapi was my favorite part of the day. I was able to stay off my feet, fly down the streets in the cool air, and I got much done in a short amount of time. I recieved many strange looks. I guess some people aren't used to seeing a grown man riding around on a small pink bike with a big smile on his face. I did get alot of love from the hikers I saw, who I'm sure where filled with jealousy concerning my sweet transportation.
I went to the dollar store:
Even though it's called the Dollar Store, I was unaware that every item was only a dollar. Did I take a wrong turn and end up in heaven? I found a few things I needed, and I bought a box of Oreos that I probably didn't need, but ate in one sitting. I did feel sick for an hour after eating them. Afterwards, I went next door to Dollar General. This part of town was all about the bargains.
This place was just what I needed. I bought 90% of my resupply food here for a good price. I stuffed all this crap into my pack and pedaled off toward Big 5 Sporting Goods. I bought 2 cheap ankle braces and some cannister fuel:
I maybe should have bought better braces, but I just need a bit more support and cushion, and I think these will do the trick. I also looked at Insoles for my shoes. I currently use Superfeet Green Insoles in my shoes. I don't even know exactly what they do, but they are reccomended in all the guide books I read before the hike. I'm beginning to suspect that they are too hard, and that this may be the cause of my aching feet. I will look into a softer insole, and when I get my new shoes that I sent to Kennedy Meadows, I'll try walking in the factory insoles for awhile and see what happens. 
I said goodbye to the bike and sorted my food back in my room:
I crawled back into my bed and slept for a few hours. I was so tired and this felt good. I watched some great movies on HBO, and then I watched some baseball. Just when I was thinking about soaking my feet again, I saw GI-Had outside on the street, and we decided to see a movie at the theatre down the street.
We saw Mad Max: Fury Road. It was very strange, but not bad. Sort of a Sci-Fi opera. I would have done some things differently with the film, but whatever. I was pretty sleepy throughout the film, so when it ended I walked back to my room and collapsed. I'm not sure what I'm doing tomorrow, but I'll probably zero again for many reasons; The next 150 miles, 8 days, is a hot and dry wilderness with very hard hiking. There are numerous long waterless stretches, including a 45 mile dry stretch. My feet could use an extra day, and so could my body. I'm also ahead of my schedule, as I planned to start the Sierra section June 1st, but my pace is well ahead of that. I'd like to give the snow a chance to melt, even though ANOTHER storm is coming on Friday, and I'll be right in it. 
Finally, I'm starting a long stretch with no cell service, so this blog will be updated whenever humanly possible. I'll explain everything and write a 1 month summary deal tomorrow, so stay tuned for that.


4 comments:

  1. What's the dating scene like on the trail?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are lots of trail romances out here, or, "trailmance." Often it's scandalous, and since it sometimes involves cheating on spouses back home, the rule out here is not to talk about trailmances in blog's, etc. there's a lot of hooking up, but I find it gross. Spend a few weeks out here and people smell pretty ripe.

      Delete
    2. Mother - what happens on the trail, stays on the trail. even the odor

      Delete