Saturday, May 30, 2015

Day 40, The Walking Dead

Part 1, The Desert, Day 40
The Walking Dead
Miles: 25.11
PCT Mile: 689.00
Today was the most grueling hiking I've done so far. These last 6 days have kicked my ass, and it seems the desert wants to give me a good bye kiss. 
I slept like a log last night, and when I woke up at 5am, I forgot where I was. I quickly realized I was on the PCT. I woke up to a beautiful dawn and took off at 6. 
I passed this marker, which caused me to stop and do the math:
I had completed a quarter of the trail. Some hikers I talked to were happy about this, others couldn't believe there is still three quarters left. Personally, I think it went by really fast, and I'm thrilled there's a lot of trail left. (Close to two thousand miles)
I love hiking in the early morning, and I'm always alone. Other hikers are always ragging on me for getting up so early and not sleeping in. 
After crossing over a saddle, the landscape was covered in trees.
It was hard to take pics cause the sun was right in front of me.
I stopped at Spanish Needle Creek to filter some water.
The first of two big climbs today started here. I hiked uphill a couple thousand feet and I was winded. I was listless and sucking air.
The day was gorgeous and hot, and I think this section has worn me down. I also have been on food rationing mode and have been eating very little, so these things led to my struggle today.
I stopped at 10am after only 8 miles to fuel up and eat lunch. (What little food I had)
It was such a nice day to hike, but I was lifeless. My goal was to get close enough to Kennedy Meadows to have an easier day tomorrow, but that was proving difficult. The miles were trickling by at a slow rate. 
I badly miscalculated on my water needs, so I was low on this very hot day. I was trying to get to a spigot a mile off trail, and it seemed like I'd never make it. I listened to music, hoping that would distract me, but my eyes could barely stay open. 
Right when my feet could go no further, I hit the dirt road, not excited about the extra mile walk. I needed water, my last big carry of this desert section, to get me up the next climb and to camp with. Fortunately, I saw a note that read " H20" with an arrow pointing towards the bushes. It was a flowing spring with crystal clear water! This wasn't even on the water report, so it was a welcome surprise, and I didn't need to go off trail.
I filled up 6 liters, probably too much, but it was symbolic of my time in the desert. Besides, having lots of water gives me options. I filtered the water and laid down in the shade, exhausted. I looked at my gross callous on my heel and wondered why it aches so much. 
Warning: foot pic!
At least I never got blisters. You should see some of the hikers' feet out here. It's like a horror movie. I relaxed for 30 minutes and knew I had to start on the climb. My second climb if the day would go up another couple thousand feet over 7 miles. I just wanted to get it done, so I started to go up. 
This part was very difficult for me. I had already hiked 17 miles today, before this last uphill, and everything hurt. My shoulders, back, feet, legs; they were all on fire. Hiking over 20 miles a day for the last week with big water carries has destroyed my body. I kept to myself to ignore the pain and hike on, so I did. I'm also starting to become heavily suspicious about my backpack. Is it hurting me? 
I knew that every step today would be one less tomorrow. I entered a burn zone, which didn't help my mood. There were no flat spots to rest or camp, and I felt stuck again.
I needed to rest and sort of rally, and I laid down on the only semi-flat spot; the trail:
It was dead silent and I almost fell asleep right here. I decided to walk until I found anywhere kind of flat and camp. 
There are some big mountains in the distance!
I chose a rocky, bumpy spot l, but I don't care. Since I'm resupplying tomorrow, I cooked all my food, there wasn't much left anyways. It was the same potato deal I had the last two nights. It tasted like victory. Also, chocolate can do no wrong out here. 
In the end, it was a big day; 25 miles. I will also end up spending 40 days and 40 nights in the desert. Didn't Jesus do that? I guess that makes me pretty biblical. I have 14 miles to get to Kennedy Meadows tomorrow and then I'm done with SoCal. I'm really excited to zero, even though it's only a store and a campground. I'm even more excited for what's coming up next! I need to rest though. 



3 comments:

  1. Long time no hear. Happy to see that you are well and still on schedule.
    Pictures once again tell the story...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to wake up to find your post. Wow..fourth done..amazing..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the horned lizard! That callous looks suspiciously like an infected mega blister or at least a lump of dead tissue. It's not hot or weeping is it? Keep it clean and watch it closely...so excited to spend Sunday Am in bed reading your posts with my blog buddy Reed.

    ReplyDelete