Thursday, May 7, 2015

Day 22, Welcome to Wrightwood

Part 1, The Desert, Day 22
Welcome to Wrightwood
Miles: 7
PCT Mile: 369.5
I woke up this morning and the inside of my tent was covered in frost. It was, by far, the coldest night I can remeber camping in, but my warm clothes combined with my sleeping bag seemed to just get me by. I don't expect weather this cold until Washington, but yikes! I knew a storm was coming, but the sky was blue, and I headed down the mountain at 6:30am. I had 7 miles to go until I got to the highway. 
It was a beautiful morning, and I felt good!
The days when I go to town to resupply are always interesting, because I'm constantly listing all the things I need to do once in town, and not even thinking about the hiking. I was worried about the hitch into town since it was so early and the highway so lightly used, but I figured I could just walk the 6 miles to town on the highway if no cars came. The morning was so cold that even with gloves, my fingers were stinging and numb. It was difficult to take pictures.
I came upon a couple of these giant pools of water, which I presume are used to make snow: (just looking at them made me shiver)
The second one was a bit lower, hence the fog:
I could see the tip of Mt Baden Powell, which I'll be climbing very soon. I think it's the highest mountain in Southern California.
Then I saw some green grass and wondered what it could be. I soon discovered that I was hiking on ski slopes when i saw the lifts.
Right around this point in my hike, I was met with thick fog and cold, biting wind. If I wasn't so close to town, I would've been worried, but I layered up and pushed on down the mountain.
The trees were covered in frost, and it was quite a stunning scene, despite the cold.
I reached the highway at around 8:30am and it was very quiet. Quiet and cold. 
I didn't see a car for ten minutes and I strarted walking East toward Wrightwood. A car eventually came and I stuck out my thumb with my OJ Simpson gloves on, but it sped by. I wasn't too optomistic at this point.
15 minutes later, a car stopped near me and picked me up. There were two other hikers who I saw when I camped last night already in the car, two sisters, Rebecca and Marissa, who'd seen me earlier hiking and thought I'd be somewhere on the highway, so they saw me and picked me up. I was very thankful, and I was dropped off at the Grizzly Cafe (more bears). Score!!
I ordered pancakes, a great hiker meal. It doesn't look like much, but I couldn't even finish it. Really hit the spot.
It was still very sunny and very cold, and quite early so I wandered to the coffee shop and charged my phone, chatting with GI Had and Daytripper there. The lady behind the counter took my picture in exchange for free coffee. They keep all the pics of thru hikers on the wall.
Wrightwood is a very cool mountain town. there are no chains whatsoever, just special little shops, bars, restaurants and inns. It's very compact and easy to get around. I walked to the post office and got my resupply package.
Next, I went to the hardware store and looked around. I replaced my bandanna that I'd lost near Big Bear. I was so tired at this point, and so, so cold. I needed a place to organize my food, clean my gear, shower, and rest. I needed a base for the night since I knew that snow was coming. I went to different inns seeking the best deal. I decided to stay at the Cedar Lodge Inn, located below a gift shop. The lady let me check in at 11:30am instead of 3pm.
Good thing the room came with cowboy hats on the wall above my bed...
I organized my food:
Then i went to the market and bought the rest of what I needed, mainly perishable foods that I eat for lunch. My food bag will be extremely heavy again. (My poor shoulders.)
I walked by ELM Street on my way back, but sadly, I did not see Freedy Krueger.
I went back to my room, showered and laid down for 2 hours. There is a tv here that gets likie 3 channels, so I watched "Starship Troopers," An awesome film if you enjoy armies of alien bug creatures. I woke up and the wind was blowing and the skies darkening. I went outside to wander and take pictures. 
It began snowing right then, and it was very cool. 
I'm not used to snow, but it was fun because unlike rain, I wasn't getting wet. (I feel like such a dork describing snow to people.) I saw this place and knew I'd come to the right place at the right time. It was destiny. 
So I made things happen:
This pizza was amazing! I went back out into the snow to meet the other hikers at a bar a block away.
I went to the Yodeler, and it was full of thru hikers. I sat down with hikers I'd thought I'd passed, and it was a big hiker reunion! A blues band was also playing. It was fun.
I had a few beers, but slipped out quietly because...I needed to type up this blog post, and I need to be somewhat clear headed to do this right. 
The snow was falling hard on my walk back to the inn.
The weather has certainly been crazy so far on my hike, but summer should be starting soon, right? It's gonna snow tonight and through tomorrow night, so I'm probably gonna stay with trailangels tomorrow night somewhere in Wrightwood. I don't wanna be on top of Mt Baden Powell in a snow storm. So I'll have to get creative for tomorrow's post.  

14 comments:

  1. Two posts in one day!! I'm glad I checked before bed. How many miles is that resupply pack supposed to carry you. I think if you mixed the tuna with noodles or ramen and some mushroom gravy mix you would have a half assed tuna noodle casserole. Just an idea. Are you getting lonely between seeing people or do you prefer to be alone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This resupply is for about 95 miles. Most so far have been for around 100 miles, but bigger carries, 150-200+ miles are on the horizon. Another good food idea. I need to bring you along as my personal trail chef. I prefer to hike alone, but coming alone is becoming lonely. I don't really mind though, but sometimes I'm reminded of the fun of being with other hikers, like in town today, and other times I wish I was alone. I guess overall, I'm a solitary person, so being alone doesn't bother me like it might bother others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *camping alone can be lonely.....is what I meant.

      Delete
    2. Best typo yet. I was glad to see you had pop tarts. It reminded me of a time I was an accomplice in stealing poptarts from Karl. When he used to sleep in the small room he kept them behind the vhs tapes. It was awesome until we opened the pack and they were un frosted. At that point I began to suspect things about your dad.

      Delete
  3. I just laughed harder than I've laughed in a long time. Thanks Jason. And Karl is a strange, odd man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I looked up Wrightwood up on internet this morning to see where you were. All the pictures had snow. A quaint mountain town. . Stay safe and warm. Connie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've camped just down the street from Wrightwood at Table Mountain Campground and could see the ski lifts that you walked by. It was WINDY there, which would be crazy with snow. Great pics, stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah it's cold Jeremy. I talked to people today who actually camped up there last night during the snowstorm. A nightmare from wha I hear. I'm hunkering down in Wrightwood today, because Its snowing now. I'm staying on a cabin with an old man named Seneca. What happens on the trail stays on the trail

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brett. You're fecking killin' it at hiking right now.

    Love,
    Your ol pal B xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very sweet of you Brice, but you'll never get the launch codes. I'll fucking die out here before I give you the launch codes...
      I had to zero today because of snow and the boredom is killing me, so o don't feel like I'm killing it right now. I'm anxious to get moving again.

      Delete
  8. Ditto on the Pictures...amazing, but not for the I-Phone. Note to Jason, I got the un-frosted pop-tarts to stop you and your cohorts from trying to get into my stash. Karl is not a strange, odd man, but a pillar of the community to which all aspire to emulate....stay warm Birdman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've that the iPhone camera takes great pictures IF the conditions are ideal, i.e., the sun must be at the top of sky. It takes shit pictures in the morning, but I've downloaded some apps that help. I'm probably gonna need thicker sleeping socks, cause my toes nearly froze off on the mountain.

      Delete
  9. These foggy pics are so pretty! Enjoying your blog. What is your name? I thought it was Tom but the name on the package in the pic says Brett...and the link in the PCT FB group was shared by a Patrick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get alot of questions about that lol. My name is Brett, My trail name was Outland, I used Tom Outland as a pen name for theis blog. Patrick is my twin brother, and I use his facebook, since I don't have a facebook.

      Delete