Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Day 27, Pain


Part 1, The Desert, Day 27

Pain
Miles: 15.5
PCT Mile: 444.60
Today has been so weird that I don't even know how to describe it. I think I'm just tired, but here it goes...
Last night was very windy. My tent did fine, but the wind was so loud. I woke up several times thinking a tree might fall on me. I wanted to stay in my sleeping bag for a bit since it was bitter cold outside, but I couldn't sleep. I packed up and set off at 5:30 in my warmest clothes. The trail crested the desert and I got to hike with a beautiful sunrise, so the morning started good.
My plan was to go six miles to the North Fork Ranger Station to get water, then 9 miles to Acton. The trail mostly went downhill all day, and after 26 miles yesterday, my feet and ankles were as sore and fragile as ever, so I didn't push it. 
I climbed a ridge and it was so windy that I thought my sleeping pad would blow away. I was being pushed around by the wind, but I managed to secure my pad and tighten my straps on my pack. Wind that strong is hard to hike in, and I'm expecting much more and stronger wind in the next 300 miles. 
The 6 miles downhill went by pretty fast, as the morning miles tend to, but right as I arrived at the ranger station, I felt sick. I was sure I was about to puke, so I threw off my pack and laid down on the dirt, looking at the sky. I wondered if I drank bad water, and I just wanted this feeling to be over with. It lasted 15 minutes, and thankfully, I felt better. I saw some coolers earlier, and now I could go investigate. 
Sodas and candy bars, available to me for a one dollar donation. Houdini watched me helplessly dig deep into my pack for a dollar before he offered to buy me an orange soda. Houdini is a bro. I sipped this slowly while my stomach calmed down.
I hung out with Houdini and Daytripper for awhile, then headed down the mountain. I was headed back into the desert and it was getting hot. 
Very early on, my feet started to ache, and when this happens, I start to walk differently, which takes a toll on my ankles, and so on. I tried to distract myself by listening to music. 
Downhill sections are so hard on the body, as every step crushes the legs and feet under the weight of the heavy pack. 9 miles of downhill was murdering my feet this morning. I was probably pushing it by trying to hike 15 miles before noon. I got to a point where I couldn't take another step. There was simply too much pain to continue, so with 4 miles left, I sat down in the dirt and took my shoes and socks off. I've never felt anything like this before, like all the nerves in my feet crying out. 
I ate some food, took some IBprofen and pretty much just sat there with my stuff strewn across the dirt. After 25 minutes and some self foot massaging, I hesitantly geared up for the last stretch. My feet felt a bit better after the break, so I plan to do this regularly. About 2 ridiculously hot and long hours later, I reached the highway and saw Legend. Remember this guy? I saw him last wandering the trail on day 4. 
I'm pretty sure he's homeless. He asked me to sign his truck, so I did, then I walked up the road to the Acton KOA. 
I was done with walking today, so I paid a 15 dollar fee to camp on their lawn, and use the facilities. I set up my tent,

Then I washed my clothes, which was much needed,
And finally, I took a shower, the place was filthy, but to a thru hiker it's paradise. 
While my clothes were drying, I sat outside and watched the daily activities of the trailer park located in the KOA, s the smell of raw sewage wafted through the afternoon breeze. Just remember to do well in high school, kids. 
Once all theses chores were done, I went to the small store to charge my phone and battery. 
I did buy this ice cream thingy, and let me tell you:
It was just awesome. There were many thru hikers now who had taken over the lawn. Some were drinking beer, others swimming in the pool. Lots were ordering food from the nearby pizza and Chinese place, but I had food leftover and I resupply tomorrow, so I ate my trail food for dinner. Boring, but practical. I laid on the lawn and thought about my feet. Warning: foot pic---Here's a pic; it is a callous that is huge, and it really hurts to touch it.
I've never had one blister on this hike, which is great, but I need to figure out what's hurting my feet. I thought I would have beaten my feet into submission after 400 miles, but maybe I need more time until the nerves just die. Thru hikers are masochists for sure. I have several toes that have no feeling. At least Señor Whiskers came by my tent and gave me a bag of gummy bears. Gracias Señor!
There's 250 miles of desert left, and they are not easy. It's taking its toll on me, and I'm so tired. I daydream about reaching the beautiful Sierra Nevada, but they say you pay your dues in the desert. The Mojave desert stretch looms, and many hikers have quit already. I'll do whatever it takes to get through this, no matter how painful it may be. I feel like the real challenge is the next two weeks. Every hiker here is in pain, as I probably have it pretty good. So at least I'm not alone in my pain. Tomorrow I go to Agua Dulce. 


8 comments:

  1. Callous ouch... path on top of crest, kind of like walking on the balance beam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the callous' are better than blisters, which I've avoided thus far. Hopefully, my feet will get used to the pounding soon.

      Delete
    2. I'm sort of taking one now, but that's because of the rain storm. I need one so bad. My feet are like stumps.

      Delete
  2. Your feet look great! Rest up and enjoy, maybe Reed and I will visit Bill tomorrow. Do you have a plan for new boots? I'm sure you're not going the whole way on one pair....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Compared to most other hikers, my feet are pristine. Bill needs love! Hikers usually go through 4-5 pairs of shoes on a hike. I mailed a new pair to Kennedy meadows, mile 700. After that, I'll order shoes online as needed.

      Delete
    2. what about cushiony socks?

      Delete
  3. Cushiony socks would induce blisters because of the heat, dirt, and sweat. The best I can hope for is to wait for my feet to submit and become numb.

    ReplyDelete