Monday, May 11, 2015

Day 25, Save the Frogs

Part 1, The Desert, Day 25
Save the Frogs
Miles: 22.33
PCT Mile: 404.43

(I just got cell service, I'm currently hiking through two wildernesses, but day 24,25 are up, so start with day 24, to continue where I left off)

Today was so tough. I'm so tired but I'm determined to write this post, so here it goes. 
Everyone in the camp woke up at about 6am, so there was a lot of activity early. I packed up and decided to hike this morning with Tink and Whole Roll, so I waited and got on the trail at 7am, a late start for me. It was a beautiful morning as usual in the San Gabriel Mountains.
I worked on lowering my pack weight:
I usually hike alone, but hiking with people made the time fly by. Talking tires me out though, but can be good for a change. We reached Islip Saddle, where I met Ironman, a local who plans on hiking next year. Ironman was providing rides from the saddle here on Highway 2 past the detour about 15 miles up the road. (There is a detour for an endangered frog that I'll get to in a bit) Of course, some hikers accepted, but I persuaded the two hikers I was with to stay true and walk the trail, so we did. 
It was a tough uphill section, but the views provided the momentum.
I was charging so fast uphill that I scared the shit out of two day hikers. These ladies screamed when I came around the corner and it echoed through the valley. They thought I was a bear. 
I've had no cell service, so sorry folks for no updates. I should also apologize to my mom, since it's Mother's Day, and I couldn't call. (I don't think she knows what the Internet is.)
I came to Highway 2 again, and crossed for the second of many times today. It was very quiet on the highway.
A short while later, I came to Highway 2 again, but this time I'd be on it for awhile. This sign should explain most of the situation:
To protect the Mountain Yellow Legged Frog, The PCT was detoured a few years ago, and probably will be for awhile. Entering this area could result in heavy fines or jail, and who the hell would want to bother these sweet, sweet frogs? The detour is always evolving, but the first part was walking up Highway 2 for 3 miles. We hung out at Eagle's Roost area for a bit:
A man pulled up in a truck and gave us these orange ribbons to tie to our packs so cars could see us better. Some citizen of the year, type guy, though he was being thoughtful. I really didn't want them, because all I saw was extra trash. I thought of telling him that a tiny ribbon would probably do little to prevent a collision, but I took his offering just to move the situation along. There are far too many "ribbons" in this country. We finally started our road walk.
Walking on asphalt sucks. It hurts the feet pretty bad, so I tried to walk on the pine needles on the side of the road. It was a very pretty road though, because of the lack of traffic. 
After an hour, I was beginning to wonder where the campground was and if I passed  it. I checked my maps an realized I indeed passed it a mile ago. Nothing irritates PCT hikers more than having to backtrack and hike pointless miles. I wasn't too mad though; I was glad it was only a mile I'd passed it by. I found the campground and got to work. My feet felt like stumps from the pavement, and there were picnickers everywhere. I made the picnic table my home for awhile. 
I dried out my tent in the sun, charged my phone with my solar panel, filtered water, and opened up the food laboratory. Here's some string cheese with cream cheese, combined for the sake of world peace. 
I call this combo of salami and peanut butter, "the mistake."
And then, the trifecta...
It doesn't always work, but I have to get creative out here. I stared at this poster for 15 minutes. I think it is very creepy.
I wandered over to an area where a bunch of thru hikers were, and they were all talking about walking the highway 4 miles more and skipping the trail hike part of the frog detour. I didn't say anything, but I was going to hike the trail and not skip. I mean, shit, we could all just walk the Interstate 5 from Mexico to Canada, but that wouldn't be very fun, would it? I packed up and started down the Burkhart trail that would connect back to the PCT in 5 miles.
I got nervous when the detour went down for a long time because for every downhill, there is a corresponding uphill. There was an uphill, too....and boy did it suck.
The trail was steep, rocky, and uneven for 4 miles of uphill. It was hot, and my pack, with 13 pounds of water, was at its very heaviest. It totally sucked. 
My ongoing shoulder problem was killing me. I winced in pain with every head or arm movement. I saw nobody, and assumed the other hikers were walking the road. I was in a bad mood and everything hurt. I threw my pad down and laid in the dirt watching this cloud for 30 minutes.
This trail pissed me off because it ran pointlessly down the straight uphill and returned to the road a few miles where I left it. We call these PUD's (pointless ups and downs). I finally, FINALLY got back to the highway and saw other hikers who road walked and hadn't broken a sweat. I was drenched in sweat and covered in dirt. The trail crossed the road and went mercifully down hill.
A few miles later, I saw this:
400 miles down, many to go! My feet were hurting as usual, but this milestone and music pushed me forward. 
I saw a house in the distance and thought it was a private residence. As I got closer, a hiker I knew was outside. It was some weird Boy Scout cabin.
The man inside let us fill water and he gave us some chips and salsa. Both tasted like they expired in the 90's but a nice gesture, of course. 
It was late, but I wanted to make a few more miles so I set out with 14 pounds of water, even carrying some in my hands. I was so exhausted from today that I wanted to camp with abundant water, plus, there will be no water for 17 miles.
I was hurting badly in my shoulder, and not finding any flat ground. It was no Bueno, but after 3 miles of pain, I climbed a hill out of a burn area and found an amazing camp spot.
There was an even more amazing sun set view from my tent spot.
I am beyond tired. This section has been so hard, so I hope to sleep, and we'll see what tomorrow brings. One foot in front of the other.

5 comments:

  1. Yesterday, was an eventful day, can't imagine how crazy the PUD's would make you. The pictures show the altitude and are again, amazing. The trail looks like one slip and you would be tumbling forever. Until later, Connie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trail is treacherous on a daily basis I'm finding out. There are scary washouts all the time, but all I can do is be carful and not look down. It's gonna get real freaky in the sierras. Happy Mother's Day Connie!

      Delete
  2. ha, so much for my daily posts. well, you're doing a great job buddy! some beautiful views today!
    -a-man

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's pretty popular out here among thru hikers to grow the beard out until the hike is over, but I'm not too interested in looking like Grizzly Adams. Plus i find it uncomfortable sleeping with a big beard, so for now I just find a place to trim it, with scissors or a trimmer when I can find one in town. This will probably change when I gave little choice but to grow it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "There are far too many "ribbons" in this country." Laughing!!! :))

    ReplyDelete