Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Day 34, The Big Sleep

Part 1, The Desert, Day 34
The Big Sleep
Miles: 0
PCT Mile: 558.5
I miss the trail. Back on tomorrow!!!!

Today I took my second consecutive zero day in Tehachapi. Before my trip, I hadn't planned on taking a double zero this early, but I decided to a few days ago and I stuck to the plan. For one thing, I've been hiking faster than I planned and I wanted my feet, which were giving me pain, to have a decent chance to rest up. I am nearly 150 miles away from Kennedy Meadows, the "gateway to the Sierra," and I would like to give the snow a chance to melt. I had planned to get to Kennedy Meadows by June 1st, but I'm on pace to be there by the 27th, so taking a few days off is beneficial in many ways. I'm very anxious to get back onto the trail, but I keep telling myself that it's ok to wait a day. So tomorrow morning I'll hitch out and continue my hike. It's a very difficult 150 mile stretch filled with big waterless intervals, and a storm is coming, which is probably helpful to me.

I woke up at 6am in the comfy hotel room and layed there for awhile watching tv. I had to check out by 12pm, so I was going to milk this room for all its comforts. I did go to the lobby and I talked with Geisha Girl and some other hikers. I printed the water report on the computers located in the lobby; they were ancient and very buggy:
I borrowed Pink Lightning for one last ride:
This bike is one of my favorite parts of Tehachapi. I rode the bike into town and bought this yummy bearclaw:
I returned to my room, showered, packed my pack, and watched tv for awhile, before checking out at noon. I can't believe how tired I am. It was hard to keep my eyes open as I walked down the street and all I wanted to do was sleep. My plan was to get a room for my last night here at this very cheap motel called The Santa Fe Motel. It has a hiker rate that is pretty inexpensive. I got the room and it's a major downgrade from where I was last night, but I don't care about that. The motel has hourly rates, so this should tell you all you need to know about it.
It's a tiny room, obviously pretty gross, that reeks like cigarettes and something else I don't exactly want to identify. Pretty much what I expected. It has small tv with about 10 channels.
I turned the fan on, shut the curtains and crawled into my sleeping bag on the bed, (after thorouhgly checking for bed bugs) and I fell asleep. I slept through the afternoon, and it felt great. I needed this rest badly. I woke up and didn't know the time since there's no clock in here. I fell asleep with music playing on my phone, and when I woke up, The Door's "The End" was playing in a loop, so I felt like Martin Sheen in the opening of Apocalypse Now. I do feel like I'm gettting softer the more time I spend off the trail, and I'm getting cabin fever in these small rooms. I got up and went for a walk. 
In found this old school barber:
And then I found this barber two doors down:
I couldn't help imagine the rivalry that might exist between these two, and like, scissor fights, and stuff. I'm really bored.
I just want to sleep tonight and get back on the trail, where things are less complicated. Hike, eat, sleep. I was going to wtite a 1 month review type thing tonight, but I'm kinda tired and I look forward to posting about the trail again. 
NOTE:
I am about to go into some wilder areas and I will not have service for long periods of time. I will write my posts each night, as usual, and I'll send them whenever I can. It might be a week or even 2, but don't stop reading! I Think you can subscribe on the bottom of this page to get updates on when I post. The best is yet to come, so please continue to go with me on this journey!



7 comments:

  1. No worries from me waiting for your posts. Don't you wish you could take the "pink lightning" with you? Smart boy, sleeping in your bag on top of the bed..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie! You're my favorite reader! When I do post the blog updates, it will be several days at a time, so you'll have a lot to read. I so wish that pink lightning was mine, but sadly, it's home is here in Tehachapi. Soon it will bring joy to another hiker. At least I have pics and the memories.

      Delete
  2. Where is the trail in relation to tehachepi and Mojave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trail is 10 miles from both places. You can hitch from Tehachapi willie springs road at like 558.5 like I did, or highway 58 at mile 566, which I'm close to. (I'm on trail, as of 8am this morning, woo-hop!!!)

      Delete
  3. Stay strong! The Sierras are right around the corner. You can DO THIS!

    Tim C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tim! I'm really damn excited that SoCal is almost done, I can see the light at the end of that dusty desert tunnel, but I'm entering one final gauntlet. And oh boy is it an ass kicker. Stay tuned!

      Delete
  4. Brett, I told you of the perils of riding a pink girls bike in Tehachapi. Glad to see you are heading back out on the trail.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete