Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Day 97, The Way it Should Be

Part 3, Northern California, Day 97
The Way it Should Be
Miles: 27.42
Total Miles: 1568.70
When I woke up, all my gear was covered in orange dust from all the volcano dirt around me. I packed up, and burned the book I finished the previous night in the fire pit. I waited around to see if the singing squirrel would return, but no luck. I walked off at 6:30.
Another beautiful morning with mostly flat trails. As the day wore on, the storm clouds became bigger and bigger.
Ok, no storm clouds yet... Be patient! My feet were feeling better lately. The new insoles seem to be working, though I question his long they'll hold up. I'm taping my heel each Morning where new callouses are forming. I'm also eating ibprofen likes they're vitamins. Whatever it takes to get me hiking, right? Right!?
I found another piped spring:
Lots of epic views this morning.
I passed the Europeans and also Diogenes and Claire. I was making good miles.
I found water in this hole. There was a decent spring inside the hole.
I ate a blueberry bagel and Fritos for lunch, and I'm not sure that this is anything to be ashamed about...
In the afternoon, I crossed highway 3 and entered the Klamath National Forest.
Shortly afterwards, I entered the Trinity Alps Wilderness. I've been waiting for the Trinity Alps, even though I'll only pass through a corner of this wilderness. 
The storm clouds were just filthy at this point.
The mountains here reminded me of the Sierra Nevada, but greener.
The scenery was beautiful, even with the storm clouds!
At this point the sky started pissing rain. I'm talking Vietnam style, torrential downpour. Luckily I was prepared for rain. It was pointless to walk in this mess, so I stood under a tree for 30 minutes until the rain lightened. 
There was loud thunder and lightning too. I thought I heard shrieking coming from up trail, but I chalked it up to my growing delirium. I've been hearing things lately... Sure enough, and to my relief, I found a summer camp group of about 20 kids and counsellors, freaking out about the rain and thunder. I wasn't just hearing things!
The whole walk up this ridge, I was hearing bells...cow bells. Oh great. More delusions. Then I began to see cows. I felt bad for these cows. Can you imagine the hell of hearing bells your whole life? Either the cows enjoy the bells and are boogying down 24/7, or they were driven mad by the constant ringing long ago. Anyways...this blog needs more cow bell.
The walk was among the most beautiful scenery I've seen this whole summer.
Storms were all around me. Thunder and lightning were constant.
I set up my tent under some trees to shelter myself from the rain.
I sat and listened to the storm for about 2 hours. It was a big one.
It stopped raining at about 7 pm, and I saw a cool little rainbow. I cooked ramen and read in my tent. I was pretty dry, so a good end to an epic day.

5 comments:

  1. A-mazing photos today!!!! The first spring was surrounded by cool pitcher plants and the morning light and storm clouds were beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I knew the names of the trees and plants out here. I'm horrible at that. Northern California is so beautiful, it's crazy, so the pictures are easy to take.

      Delete
  2. Wow Brett...the Trinity Alps are so beautiful. Derek has backpacked out there in his younger days but I have never seen them. Who knew anyplace could be as amazing as the Sierras! Seems like you have been enjoying this stretch of the trail a bit more. Quite a journey. It looks like you will be crossing into my neck of the woods soon....The Pacific Northwest. When do you think you might get to Washington? I will be sure to wave to you. Cheers and take good care out there!
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many would disagree with me, but I found the section from Shasta to Oregon to be my favorite section, including the Sierras. It's just so remote and mysterious. I'm eagerly anticipating the Pacific Northwest, especially the north cascades.

    ReplyDelete
  4. E Clampus Vitus has posted so many monuments all over CA. I see them everywhere in the Mojave and Colorado deserts. I am glad you posted one of their monuments about the CA OR Stage Road. (Humbug Chapter--priceless) 🌽

    ReplyDelete