Friday, July 17, 2015

Day 91, Bush League

Part 3, Northern California, Day 91
Bush League
Miles: 23.68
Total Miles: 1445.17
I titled this post Bush League because I sleepwalked throughout the day, hitting less miles than I'd hoped. I did walk by a bunch of bushes, I guess... So that works too. Today was shit. Here's why...
I woke up and got going by 6:30. The trail went through a deep green forest today, which was great.
What's that in the distance?.... Noooooo! More wind turbines!! I haven't seen these since the desert. 
The trail felt like a jungle. 
Nothing much happened today. I was extremely bored. When you hike 14 hours a day for months, it gets boring. I'm saving my batteries until I get my new charger, so I can't listen to music. Sometimes I run entire films through my mind, scene by scene. 
Mt. Shasta was clouded over, so I missed out today. Hopefully tomorrow it's clear. 
My feet were hurting early again. I thought obsessively about my injuries today. My left foot feels like it has a stress fracture, and my right foot feels like it has ligament/tendon damage. Every step, all day is hard. My mileage went down today, and it worries me. 
I got water from Clark Spring. 
After 14 miles, I stopped and opened up the food laboratory.
Blueberry bagel...add Fritos.
I don't even care anymore. I just combine whatever is in my food bag. This was good.
Because I limp 25 miles a day, I've never been so tired. I could hardly keep my eyes open today.
Earlier this morning, I saw Diogenes and Claire, and Cougar and Pensioner. I saw nobody for the rest of the day.
At one point I sat on a log in the deep, lush forest and nearly fell asleep.
A deer almost walked right up to me. I listened to the forest and heard life everywhere. Animals, birds, insects; it's hard to feel alone with this much life filling the forest, not to mention the plants. 
Today was a rough day. I don't know what to do about my feet. It's all I think about. I pitched my tent early, hoping to get some extra sleep tonight.
After all this time, I think ramen is still my favorite dinner. 
I really hope tomorrow is better. I hope my body feels stronger. Later! 

2 comments:

  1. 🌽 Over a year since you posted, reading everyone. Such a great blog. Totally mesmerized.

    ReplyDelete