Sunday, July 26, 2015

Day 100, Century Club

Part 3, Northern California, Day 100
Century Club
Miles: 27.73
Total Miles: 1636.05
I've been hiking the Pacific Crest Trail for 100 days! I'm not sure what this means, if it even means anything. The time has flown right by. Since I started in the desert at the border, it's like I've been on a roller coaster. My 100th day was pretty uneventful. I spent the day hiking, of course. 
Last night was great. I was treated to nature's trifecta; sunset, stars, sunrise. I woke up around 2am to a stunning sky. The sky was alive with what I call "universe stuff," like shooting stars, planets, the Milky Way, and infinite stars. I woke up to a sunrise:
I hiked out at 6:20.
Morning pictures are always tricky with the lighting. There were early clouds today, but they burned off after a bit. 
I love how these mountains go so far back that they seem endless. 
My map says I was hiking around the rim of Marble Mountain today. I'm not quite sure which peak this was, but I have pretty good guess.
I think it's this guy below:
I was hiking fast and quickly passed Puzzler, D' Lux, and Raven. I was looking at my maps and singing Pink Floyd's "Wish you were here" to myself loudly and The Flinstones caught me. It was embarrassing...
I came upon this creepy cabin:
It was locked. I didn't want the trail to get all Blair Witch Project on me, so I left. I mistakenly passed a creek that was listed as the last water source for 9 miles. I could've just walked a mile back to the creek, but i'm psychologically unable to walk reverse miles. I must walk forward! Luckily I heard water running 2 miles later and after a short search, I found this ice cold spring. Thanks nature.
I tested out my new solar charger. It's heavy and bulky, but it works great.
I ate lunch in this cool rocky area at the base of Marble Mountain. (Maybe)
I found this rock, which I call, "the Jesus rock." 
I was hiking good miles again today, but I was so sleepy. Unfortunately, my feet started aching early. The hike was wonderful though. 
The Marble Mountain Wilderness is incredible. It's very rugged and parts of it remind me of Big Sur's Ventana Wilderness. As I sat in front of the cliff below, I heard what sounded like an explosion.
A rock slide was triggered and huge rocks fell hundreds of feet down and crashed to the floor. 
Shortly after that, a huge bird of prey plunged into this lake and came out with a fish. Things were happening here.
Today was so pretty. A cloudless sky with a nice breeze. Perfect hiking weather. 
I was sitting on a rock listening to music when Dana ( formerly, Roadside Attraction) came by and we hung out for awhile before hiking into the late afternoon.
We passed a trail crew and hiked until we got to this spring:
I sat in the sun for awhile before deciding to put in a few more miles to get closer to Seiad Valley tomorrow. 
I found a flat spot at the end of a dirt road:
I'm sleeping on a bunch of rocks. I'm tired though. Big day tomorrow! I hope my feet are ready to hike. 



1 comment:

  1. The sun rays coming through on your pictures are mystical. Your phone is a true advertisement, the pictures continue to be amazing.

    ReplyDelete