Sunday, July 26, 2015

Day 103, Hello Oregon!

Part 4, Oregon, Day 103
Hello Oregon! 
Miles: 26.12                                       [the blog skipped
Total Miles: 1716.2                           DAYS 100, 101, AND 102
(days 100-102 are in the menu)       so don't forget those]
Welcome to part 4! 
The moment I entered Oregon, it was as if a switch had been flipped. It was mighty cold out, and fog was slowly covering the canyons. Pretty amazing actually, and I sleep well in the cold, so that was good. In the morning, my tent was wet and it was so chilly that I just sat in my sleeping bag and made coffee. I loaded up on ibprofen and hiked out by 6:45am. 
It was such an exciting feeling hiking in Oregon. I've never been here before! My body was as stiff as a board and everything hurt, but I was 25 miles away from I-5 where I'd find a camp spot and hitch to Ashland tomorrow. 
I was hiking with a big smile despite my ailing body. I saw this bathroom near the trail. Weird to see this out here. I did not use it.
I didn't want to find myself in some Hansel and Gretel situation. 
I was very slow this morning. Early on, I started experiencing my worst and most worrying pain on the trail. My right quad feels like the muscle is separating from the bone. I don't know what's going on, but I was going slower than I've ever gone before, trying not to seriously injure my muscle. 
My goal was to make it to the highway. Just do that, and everything would be ok.  The day changed when I ran into Eagle Eye.
He hikes at a slower pace and hiking with him caused me to slow down. This helped me manage my quad injury a bit. We passed 1700 miles.
Eagle Eye and I talked about all kinds of stuff while we hiked. The time actually flew by, and I continued taking ibprofen. 
We came upon several trail magic coolers that, unfortunately for us, were empty.
I passed a road and entered the Rogue River National Forest.
The last 6 miles were all down hill. I can't even explain how painful this was for me, except that I felt like passing out frequently. I did see this awesome snake, which I think is a rubber boa?
I found this weird totem:
I finally came to the sign for Callahan's Lodge, a hiker friendly place that offers camping on its lawn. 
I limped through down the road and trough a railroad yard to I-5, and down to the lodge. 
I paid 10 bucks for a camp spot on the lawn and a beer that came with it. Not too bad, since I'm in no position to move. 
It rained while Eagle Eye, Cookie Monster, and myself ate our hiker food in a gazebo outside watching all the comfy tourists eat expensive dinners inside. I am so tired and my body needs rest from 2 weeks of pushing hard to get to Oregon. Hopefully, my zero in Ashland will heal my leg injury. Stay tuned for the Ashland update. 


2 comments:

  1. Callahan's...been there a few times. You are going to love Ashland, but if you go into town, may be full of people as they have the Shakespearean plays. Your mind looks full...slow it down... hugs, Connie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice insight there, because when I wrote this last night, my mind was full. I was, and still am, worried about my injuries, the weather, my hitch to Ashland, etc. etc. going to town always stresses me out. Oregon will be cool, because after Ashland, I go through no towns. It'll be fun.

      Delete