Monday, July 13, 2015

Day 89, Edge of the World

Part 3, Northern California, Day 89
Edge of the World
Miles: 30.2
Total Miles: 1404.8
I woke up early, before 5am, to get ready to hike the Hat Creek Rim. This is a notoriously hot and dry stretch that crests an exposed ridge for nearly 30 miles. Temps are normally around 100 degrees, and there's no water source for the whole hike. I left with 4 liters at 6 am. I took 6 painkillers and charged on. After gaining a ridge, the first thing I saw was the Hat Creek Basin, and it was amazing.
Then I saw something I've been waiting for. Mt. Shasta! 
Shasta is incredible. It demanded my attention, and I felt drawn to it. I'd be hiking toward it all day. I passed Papa Smurf and Cool Whip. Then I saw a southbound hiker who told me a water cache was stocked 15 miles away. This was great news, and it allowed me to dump some of my water.
The weather was mercifully cool today. The clouds were very welcome, for once, and the trail was as flat as could be. It was a great hike. The cows looked at me funny. They looked suspicious. 
I could see Lassen on my left. 
And Shasta on my right.
By 1pm, I'd hiked nearly 17 miles to the water cache, called "Cache 22." Whole Roll was there, and there was plenty of water. 
I hung out until 2 pm. I was up to 9 painkillers today, and my feet weren't horrible, but I was determined to hike 15 more miles to the next water. I took off.
Storm clouds surrounded me, but it was mixed with sun and high winds. Perfect fire weather.
By mile 20, my feet were on fire. The trail was filled with volcanic rock and each step was like walking on broken glass.
This deer leg in the trail was an ominous sign:
So was this spine! 
I still had a good day, so I was smiling:
Close to 30 miles, my feet would take me no further. I had to stop every couple hundred feet. I finally made it to a fish hatchery and slept on their lawn, not caring if it was allowed or not. I was done today.
Until next time, let's hope my feet hold up for awhile, and hopefully I'll fix this charging situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment