Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Day 90, You Are Free

Part 3, Northern California, Day 90 

Miles: 18.4 

Total Miles: 1422.29

Last night was awful. I slept near the lawn at a fish hatchery. There was no other flat spots and I'd just hiked 30 miles on two bad feet. I was too tired to move my tent. A generator blasted loudly all night, and a flood light shined directly into my tent. Somehow I slept for a few hours, but it was awful sleep. The night was also hot. This led to a tiring day. I packed up at 6am and my foot was in pain early. I was headed to Burney Falls State Park today to pick up my resupply box.
After a few hours of mindless hiking, I came to highway 299 and this sign:
I was intrigued, mostly by the usb charge station. I hurried the next mile and walked into the trail magic jackpot.
I was the only one there.
The Wild Bird cache had everything! All kinds of food and drinks, a solar shower, a cook station with propane, a dartboard, a charging station powered by a car battery, medical supplies, etc. check out this food cabinet:
I started charging my phone when Diogenes, Claire, Cougar, and Raingear showed up. Everyone was amazed at this place. 
I stayed and hung out for about 2 hours and then took off. It was great trail magic! The next 7 miles to the park sucked. I had to stop almost every mile because my feet were totally fucked.
At least it was a beautiful day out, which is all I can really ask for.
At 2pm, I crossed a highway and entered the park. 
The route to the store was confusing, but I soon found a bunch of dirty hikers hanging out near the visitors center. I plugged my battery into an outlet and went to the store to get my box.
Of course, Legend was hanging out. 
This adorable squirrel was eating Doritos out of my hands. I know I shouldn't feed them, but this made me smile. 
The expensive little store sold ice cream. Yes please.
I walked down excitedly to see Burney Falls. It was spectacular! One of the highlights of my whole hike.
After a few hours of staring at this beauty, I organized my food and walked into the afternoon at 4pm. 
I walked by Britton Lake and over a dam feeding the Pit River.
I needed to get to Rock Creek for water. About 6 miles away. The hike was wonderful in the afternoon sun.
I got water from the creek under this bridge.
Rest in peace, Freaky Steve... You will be missed. Not by me.... so much.. But yeah.
I spent some time looking for a flat spot, and found the closest to flat that I could; some dead end 4 wheel road:
There's empty beer cans everywhere. I hope the locals don't mess with me tonight. I also hope that Freaky Steve doesn't come to get me. I wonder if good rest will help my feet for tomorrow.
Ps. I ordered a new charger from Amazon this morning to be sent two trail towns up. I hope this fixes my battery problems. 

10 comments:

  1. You're doing great Brett! Take care of your feet and they will deliver you all the way to Canada!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike, after nearly 1500 miles, I'm finally learning to be less reckless with my feet. I used to violently hike over anything and everything. I know realize that proper foot placement and pacing are very important. I'm taking it day by day with my feet.

      Delete
  2. hey brett, you're still doing awesome, i'm reading every post!

    have you considered getting a foot massage from someone, not that i assume there are many legit sports masseuses in any towns you take a zero in. i dunno if they would help or not but ayyyyyyyy treat yo' self

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. also this was from a-man

      Delete
    2. What up A Man?! Thanks for reading I commenting, I love that shit. I feel sorry for the maseusse that would potentially touch my disgusting feet, though mine are sexy compared to their hikers I've seen. Most feet are riddled with filthy blisters. Not mine. I massage my feet on trail, but my ailments are correctable I think, if I'd just carry less weight. I also need to take more breaks. I'm taking action, because this pain sucks. Take care buddy.

      Delete
  3. Burney Falls is gorgeous. Never seen them..the squirrel eating the Dorito is priceless. Thinking of the peace you have, we're in nyc and there is just way too many people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, I've been hiking in solitude for 3 months now and I've forgotten what's it's like being around lots of people. It seems like the Ockerts are all over the USA these days! Maybe you should have a travel blog... Thank you so much for all the support and comments, it all helps so much, plus it reminds me of home, which I miss!

      Delete
  4. Brett, Didn't realize your feet were sexy, but I haven't seen them in a while. Great Pics and dialogue. That little phone of yours is making a lot of this happen. Take care....Dad

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanna go to Burney falls! Looks awesome! The Thomas/Wilson chapter of the Brett Fan Club is rooting you on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Burney Falls is great. Now that I have a fan club, the pressure is on. I must deliver.

    ReplyDelete