Sunday, July 26, 2015

Day 101, Band of Horses

Part 3, Northern California, Day 101
Band of Horses
Miles: 24.00
Total Miles: 1660.05
It felt like I slept on cement last night. I was so tired that I slept, but it was bad sleep. I woke up at 5:00 and started getting ready. Seiad Valley was 18 miles away. The cafe closes at 2 pm. It's on!
I was so tired. My body is worn out and everything hurts. There would be no stopping this morning. 
I crossed Cold Springs Creek:
I came to Grider Creek, which I'll cross a couple times and follow for many miles. This bridge has seen better days.
I crossed on a log instead.
I crossed many more bridges.
I was in pain. Everything from the waist down hurt, but my hip was the worst. My hip was in so much pain that my left leg was numb. I couldn't stop though. I passed the Spaniard. The trail became a dirt road. 
Huge trucks drove by and I was engulfed in massive clouds of dust. I think, due to the truck horns afterward, that the drivers enjoy dusting the hikers. 
The dirt road became a paved road. At this point my body hurt so bad that I had to go to another place mentally. I was just so close, and making great time. 
I had a great view of the Klamath River.
I love this river.
Many of the houses I passed had signs like these:
I'm not sure, but I'm guessing they don't want a monument? I'll have to look this up.
I eventually came to Highway 96. Of course, I saw a few hikers, who'll remain nameless, flying by in the back of a truck, even though the roads here are officially the PCT. 
A women stopped in the middle of the highway and gave me a bag of plums!
I ate the plums while I admired the local street art:
The long, hot road walk was killing me, but I was so close...
This same style of sign was in Etna. I sense a conspiracy here...
I finally made it to Seiad Valley by Noon. I'd hiked 18 miles by 12pm, a new morning record for me, and I was so exhausted, but excited. 
The PCT is Highway 96 for a few miles, so the trail goes right through town, which is one building. The one building has a post office, a store, and a cafe. I went to the store to pick up my resupply box.
There was a stuffed Jackalope in here. I knew they existed.
I got my box. I ended up giving most of my food away, because I sent way too much and was beyond sick of most of it.
I then went next door to the cafe. They have a famous pancake challenge. The pancakes are enormous, and apparently very few have finished them. I ordered a milkshake and a cheeseburger. Both were awesome.
It was a billion degrees outside, so I hung out for a bit on here with Otter and Stitch, a hiker duo from Hawaii. After awhile I went outside to organize my food. These seals are everywhere around here:
Siskiyou County leads the way for this separatist movement. 
I got a beer and hung out at the picnic tables with Runaway, Homie, and Dana. We sat around all afternoon drinking beers and waiting for the heat to go down.
Cross the street, these beautiful horses were running around and bucking all over the place. It was awesome!
It was magical watching these beautiful horses.
We all started getting a bit...tipsy. The others started hiking out, one by one, but I stayed and hung out with the Spaniard for awhile, mostly because he bought me a beer.
Here he is. He worked for the Spanish government.
Here's other hikers who payed to camp at the RV Park. It looks like a homeless shelter exploded:
At 5pm, I hiked out with quite a buzz.
There was a massive 6 mile, 5,000 foot climb ahead. I'd already done 18 miles this morning, and I my body was destroyed, so I planned to hike half of the climb.
I filled 3 liters at this spring. My pack was so heavy, but I only had a few miles to go.
When I got to the only flat spot for miles listed on my map, it was occupied by 3 elder ladies on a weekender, who I'd seen leaving Seaid Valley when I arrived there. It had taken them all day to climb 3 miles... Hey ladies, I think there's a bingo tournament in town... I was screwed, and I had no choice but to hike steeply up and into the evening with a heavy pack and zero energy. It was a beautiful hike though.
I thought about sleeping in this watch tower to the right, but it was pretty steep and far:
Just as it was getting dark and I thought I'd be hiking forever, I found a flat spot on a saddle. I was so happy to stop hiking for the day.
It's not completely flat, and the moon is on my face, but I'm no position to complain. I'm feeling sad that California is almost done, but I eagerly await what comes next. I better sleep tonight, cause if I don't, things will get weird. Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment