Friday, April 10, 2015

Last minute changes and 1 week to go.

Each day is getting to be more hectic than the last, as the time blows by until I leave. I've been spending my time hiking, trying to lower my base weight, a seemingly impossible task, and making lists of all the little things that need attention.

I am dumbfounded by my base weight, which started out at a few ounces over 20 pounds, and way too heavy. I got rid of extra underwear, because who needs that, and I will send my rain pants to Oregon. I'm currently in the process of cutting the rest of my gear down, but my most recent base weight is 17 pounds, which isn't bad, but could be better. They say you pack your fears, so what does this say about me!?. I weighed my pack with 3 days food and 5 liters of water, and it was only 36.9 pounds, so I don't know what's going on. I think there is a small man living in my pack. He tells me to burn things...

I've started to go on mini-hikes with my base pack weight plus water.

The ULA Catalyst feels great, and it packs a lot of stuff, which makes me think I'm over packing and taking advantage of the extra space. I don't know how you ultra-lightweight folks do it, but you have my respect. The big difference I noticed between hiking with weight and regular day hiking is that with the pack, I sweat much more and more often. So that should be fun. I am excited about the pack, as it seems it will be a trusty companion.

I was thrown a real curve ball today when my ride to the trail fell through. No big deal, I'm flying to San Diego a day earlier than scheduled, taking a cab to El Cajon transit center, and taking the 2 hour bus ride to Campo. It's a setback, but I'll actually be on the PCT earlier than my previous schedule, so I have a whole new day to do whatever I want on the trail. I think I'll work on my singing voice. 

In the mean time, I'm watching as many sunsets as possible, and spending time with my cat Bill, who I'll miss so much it hurts. 


No comments:

Post a Comment