Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Day 14, Higher Ground

The Part 1, The Desert, Day 14
Higher Ground
Miles: 21.2
PCT Mile: 247.35
(Day 13 and 14 are now up.)

Today I got to see one of the great joys of hiking the PCT; experiencing the landscape drastically shift over the course of a day. It didn't start well though. I had only a few hours of weird sleep. I think it was from sleeping in a canyon and the moon was way too bright. I've read stuff about the psychological effects of being in canyons and I believe it affects me. I jolted up at 5:15 am and quickly started to pack up. I wanted to get out of there. 
The whole morning I was hiking through narrow canyons, and I crossed Mission Creek 26 times over 12 miles. The temps were cool, which was great, but I struggled mightily this morning. My lack of sleep combined with my too long exposure to the sun yesterday left me feeling sapped of energy and slightly sick. I needed energy so I stopped to eat something, also noticing that I barely have any food left, but hey, I have plenty of water, and I love water!
I drank some of this mega-coffee that this guy gave me and I powered on through the morning. Maybe it had steroids in it. The sun eventually joined the party and I was like bacon in a frying pan in that narrow canyon. one exciting thing about hiking up canyons for hours and hours is to see what's on the other side. 
Around mid-day I started to head uphill. Very much uphill. It was so exhausting, but then I began to see some changes. 
There were trees! I love trees. I'd spent the day gaining feet in elevation by the thousands, so I was happy to see this development. 
At this point I was so listless, and I was absolutely starving. I wanted to wait until I  got to a spring in 5 miles before I stopped, and it was probably a dumb decision, because I had real trouble going forward. I'm also getting nerve pain in my shoulder and a rash on my back from my pack. I know, it's gross, but how do you think I feel!? The scenery was so grand with birds chirping and the smell of pine cones and all that stuff, that I was able to push on. 
Here is a chair that someone fashioned out of a tree. I sat in it, but no picture. This was strictly Brett Time.
I finally made it to the spring. One thing I've learned on the PCT is that no matter the destination, the last mile is SO LONG. Every time. It's interminable. When I got there, other hikers were lounging in the sun, but I was so hungry that I got right down to business. I think my hunger has finally kicked in, and I need mucho calories, so I went straight to work in the food laboratory. I made mashed potatoes, and put some cheese and salami in there.
This was the last of my "not gross" food, so this was a one time deal, at least until I resupply. It was really good actually, and it hit the spot. Satisfied with my unholy concoction, I went to the spring, which was in a small cave. 
The spring water fell in tiny drops into that bucket. I filled 5 liters and treated it with bleach,and it tasted like a swimming pool. Better than Giardia. After this, I could barely keep my eyes open, so I laid  out my sleeping pad in front of two good looking Pines and just relaxed for about an hour, shoes and socks off. 
I almost dozed off, It was really nice in the sun, but I got up, packed up, and talked to a few other hikers for awhile. 
Here's a pole with bees on it. 
Feeling somewhat refreshed, I wanted to get about 6 more miles in to go over 20 for the day, so I took off, Guns N Roses blasting in my headphones. By this time the pine forest was in full effect and I was just cruising. 
This forest is so great, the smells, sounds, and it felt good to be up here and out of the desert for a bit. I was also back at 8,500 feet and this time I can feel the effects of the altitude. I was getting winded for the first time this hike. I FINALLY got cell service and was able to send out my blog. Sorry for the delay people, but I've been in the wilderness. It happens. 
It was late aternoon when I turned a corner and saw in the distance the desert I'd crossed a few days ago. It is such a cool feeling to see these great distances and know you just crossed them by foot. I felt like Kate Winslett in Titanic...Anyways, here is the view:
Here's something someone made on the trail. Where did they get the time?
I needed to camp and the sun was setting, so I saw a place on my map called Coon Creek Camp. 
Here is what I saw when I got there. 
Oh I've seen this place before! It was in the Blair Witch Project. 
No, this place isn't creepy at all! I actually walked around for too long deciding if I should camp out front on the flat ground, but let's be honest, this place felt a bit too "murdery," for my comforts. I quicky left and headed uphill for a few miles and found a great spot with an epic view. 
It's mighty cold, but I think I'll pass right out. Thanks for reading.



6 comments:

  1. It continues to amaze me how the terrain changes. Besides snakes and lizards, you haven't seen much wildlife.. First thing I do each morning, is read your blog. Love the pictures and your writing. Connie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see about a thousand lizards a day, I saw a hawk destroy another bird mid air, and aside fro horny toads and snakes, not much, but I do hear animals outside my tent every night, I just choose not to look.

      Delete
  2. "I love water", "I love Trees", add tennis balls and you would be as happy as my dogs! Glad to hear you're finally hungry, wish we could get you real food. Didn't you get any Costco jerky or granola bars? So glad you are getting cell reception as I love your adventure writing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im glad you like the blog Shannon, writing it out here is hard but it's become one of my very favorite things to do each night. I have many bars in my resupply packages, but those don't really start coming until the Sierra Nevada sections. Jerkey is great but so darn expensive. In gonna get cheese, and avocados at the market tomorrow and other goodies. Got any trail food suggestions? High calorie to weight ratio would be good.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the heart:) Happy early Vday to you too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the heart:) Happy early Vday to you too

    ReplyDelete