Thursday, April 23, 2015

Day 7, Back to the Mountains

Part 1, The Desert, Day 7
Back to the Mountains
Miles: 18.54
PCT Mile: 126.76
I actually got some sleep last night. Even with the noisy hikers staying up talking, cars, snoring, etc. I was so exhausted that I slept around 6 hours. I'm pleased with this and hope it lasts. When I woke up, I went to the community center and charged   my phone and ordered breakfast there, chatting with some hikers. Afterward, I packed up all my gear with the people whose tents were near mine, and we had a pretty good time just relaxing. At around 10:30 am, I said my good bye's and headed to the trail. I met some nice people, And I wondered if I'd ever see them again, because this a reality on the trail. It's so long and vast that a half a day's separation could be all it takes. I hiked on, knowing that I'd probably see these people at some point down the trail, and I decided that I'm not going to worry about any of this. I'm just going to hike my hike and let this whole story play out on its own. It was nice to know that I'm not totally alone out here though. 
I walked for awhile through some meadows and toward Agua Caliente Creek to fetch some water for the upcoming climb. It was an actual flowing creek, people. I was starting to think they didn't exist anymore!
I filled 3 liters and filtered it. Any other time I'd drink water from an old boot, but I can't risk getting sick out here.
I followed this creek for a few miles, and the scene was very comfy. I could totally camp here if it weren not mid-day. 
Early in the afternoon, the climb started and it wouldn't end until the evening. It wasn't too hard or anything, and the sun wasn't an issue, so I flew up the hills for the first 7 or so miles. 
I had a staring contest with this guy, which I believe to be a California King Snake.
The entire way up, I could just feel the weather that was coming. There were storm clouds forming all around me, and the temps were very cool. 
The picture below shows where I just came from this morning, the large meadows and mountains in the very distance. 
As I looked at the clouds forming, I began to get anxious about the weather after my night fighting the wind a few nights ago. I am going to experience some insane weather on this hike, but I'd just like to delay that for now. Rain is forecast for the next few days, so I'm mentally preparing. The climb, meanwhile, continued up all day. Even thought I slept last night, I was starting to get very tired. I'm not eating enough I think, and it's sapping my energy.
The landscape had returned to green all over and after a long while, I entered an area of wilderness dominated by boulders everywhere. I don't know what it's called, or where exactly I was, so I lovingly refer to it as "Boulder City."
I see a face in the rock below. To me, it looks like Medusa, from Greek Mythology. Anyone seen Clash of the Titans? What do you see?
By this point, I ate a few energy bars just so I didn't pass out. I was really tired and sluggish, and right on schedule, my feet started killing me. I trudged on, looking for the first level spot to pitch my tent, with idea that it might rain tonight.
I found this spot tucked up into a dry creek bed. I have no cell service, so I can't send this blog until morning, and It's very quiet here, with dark clouds closing in on all sides. I'm securing my tent's rain fly with rocks so the wind can't hurt my feelings again. I cooked mac and cheese and added a little something for protein. Salmon. Don't judge me, I have to try weird combos out here to help spice up the marriage, so to speak. 

Just as I type this, I heard a voice yell my name. It was Marvin, the old Washington hiker. He saw my tent from the trail. He's hiking a few more miles because there is this guy who lives off a dirt road who hosts hikers. That doesn't sound creepy or homicidal at all! But, sadly, I must decline. My tent is set up, secured and I am not only exhausted, but don't have the energy to be social. Wish me luck tonight with my sleep.


12 comments:

  1. Brett...I thought we agreed...no snake pictures... the boulders were awesome. Connie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been looking for rattlesnakes, but none yet, but they are coming, so brace yourself!

      Delete
  2. Ah shit I just spilled water all over myself

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who won the staring contest between you and the King Snake? And...I couldn't identify a face in the Rock. Looked like a B.F. Rock to me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snake won, cause I moved on. It was not going to give in, I think I pissed it off.

      Delete
  4. Question so as you were sleeping in a dry creek bed and a rain storm was approaching did flash flood cross your mind,anyway stay safe out there when you get to a curtain point in Oregon maybe we can meet i will keep track of you to see, it is on top of the santiam pass near round lake the trail crosses very close to there happy hiking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A flash flood did not cross my mind, though I should certainly be more mindful of all potential dangers. I actually plan on exiting at Santium pass when I resupply in Sisters, so keep me posted, thanks for reading!

      Delete
  5. I think I've commented that it was a mountain king snake 5 times but it won't publish my comments! Shannon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard this comment feature sucks, but I'm so glad you're reading Shannon. When I see any animal from now on, I'm gonna text you the pic first.

      Delete
  6. I skipped ahead to your last day and I am so glad I did. It makes the read so much more dramatic. This is the best blog I have ever come across.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading!! Keep it up, it only gets more interesting.

      Delete