Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Day 6: 100 Miles to Warner Springs

Part 1, The Desert; Day 6
Miles: 15.9
PCT Mile: 109.5

About last night...I'll make this as Dramatic as I can... Everything was going great. I had a huge mile day, a neat camp spot and the stars were putting on a show for me. Then the wind came. It started slow, but around midnight the wind turned gale force and would not let up until morning. The wind was lifting my tent off the ground with me and all my gear in it, and when my tent poles were close to snapping in half, I sprung into action. (Pause for considerable tension..}

I went out into the bitter cold and biting wind to tie the tent down, but as soon as I got out, the tent started to fly away; not good considering I was on an exposed ridge thousands of feet above the valley below. I clumsily searched for large rocks in the dark, the wind absolutely ferocious and howling, and I threw the rocks into my tent to keep it on the ground. I fought the wind for hours, and around 4 am I noticed a massive dark shape form in the Northern sky. Knowing that rain was coming, I tried to put my rain fly on but the wind would have none of it. I dragged my tent behind some bushes, hoping for a barrier, and returned to my tent to wait for light. When light came, All of my gear was soaked and covered with mud, and the air was thick with fog and cold. 
I had planned on taking it easy today, but now I was determined to book it to Warner Springs and regroup. I shoved my filthy gear into my pack headed out into the mist a 6am.
The miles became a blur. I have barely slept in weeks, and now I was not only exhausted, but my gear wet and dirty, plus I was out of food. I needed to go 15 miles; piece of cake. 
After about 6 miles I came across this:
Not much in the grand scheme of things, but it felt pretty cool. Too bad the scenery was fogged over,but them's the breaks. I charged on toward Barrel Springs to get water before the final push to Warner Springs.
The landscape began to change before my eyes and my troubles from the previous night were overshadowed by the beauty of a seemingly endless prairie. 
The air was still cold, but I hiked for awhile with this guy I met the other day, a mid 60's fellow named Marvin from Washington, who charges. He hikes big miles at a fast pace. Here he is below:
This epic prairie went on and on for over an hour, and it was pretty magical.
I soon came to "Eagle Rock," named for it's supposed likeness to an Eagle. This rock is a big deal in Warner Springs. Can you see it?(update, This is an impostor Eagle Rock, the real one is 100 feet above this. D'oh!!!)
As I approached Warner Springs, the surroundings became greener, and I even found a running creek! Imagine that!
Marvin and I made it into Warner Springs at around Noon, and the place was filled with thru-hikers, maybe around 30+. The town turned its community center into a hiker resource station, with food served, internet, laundry, showers, bathrooms, camping, and foot care. I didn't use too many of these because the hikers descend upon them like vultures and the wait is long, but I ordered a hamburger, nothing too special, but tastes pretty good after being out for awhile. 
At first, I was a bit shy because I'd never seen any of these hikers. Even though we may be mere miles apart, we've never  met, but after talking to a few, the flood gates opened and I felt pretty much at home. We're all on the same journey out here, so there is a sense of camaraderie. After picking up my resupply package at the PO, I set up tent and as I'm typing this, two squirrels are popping out of the same hole together outside my tent. Too cute.
I'm so tired that I must sleep tonight. It would be scientifically weird if I continue to not sleep. Tomorrow I set out up into the mountains...and rain, even snow, is on the way.

I have received a few great comments and I recently learned to respond, so if any readers have any questions about the trail or whatever, please feel free to comment below and I'll respond asap. Your comments really help with morale and motivation!! Thank you!



8 comments:

  1. Brett your a man of many good words, and literally walk your talk. Your a true inspiration for us all to go outside our comfort zones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks buddy, comments like this help me keep my head up, steel my nerves, and continue to put one foot in front of the other.

      Delete
  2. Brett, I remain impressed with your positive interpretation of even the most dire events. The beauty you find in the good and the bad is what will keep you going. The pictures continue to paint the picture for us couch potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brett Burrito, I look forward to these posts every day, and—as I sling my urban-tactical messenger bag over my shoulder before leaving the office and begin the slight 0.2 mi. descent to where my car is parked—can't help but be inspired. In seriousness, though—what a remarkable, impressive journey. So happy that you're bringing us along, digitally at least, as you work towards an end. - iw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian! It's a mega pain in the ass blogging out here, but it's very rewarding too. It's becoming a favorite part of my day, actually, thanks for reading buddy.

      Delete
  4. Brett this is seriously badass as hell man... I've read that Bryson book about the AT and always thought one of these mega-hikes would be sick as hell and now you're doing it like a big fuckin boss. You are a great man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you A-man, thanks for the comment. I have Bryson's book, and I can't wait to read it, I mailed it ahead to Sierras. I don't feel like a big fuckin boss yet, let's see how I'm doing in a few weeks. You rock.

      Delete