Saturday, April 18, 2015

Day 2: How not to survive in the desert.

Part one: The Desert
Day 2
Miles: 23.9

I slept one hour last night and hiked over 23 miles today in the brutal sun. I will pay for this. Between the border patrol helicopters, a mysterious unidentified critter that messed with me all night, and my tent being erected on a downward slope, I just couldn't sleep. I am so exhausted and I haven't slept more than 3 hours a night in over a week. Tonight better be different, or else I go into some pretty weird territory. I broke camp at 5am, and started hiking by six during an awesome desert sunrise.
If I had planned better, I'd know that there was a brutal climb out of Hauser Canyon and I only had 1 liter of water. That shit wasn't easy, but I'm getting a crash course in water rationing. Water is easily the big buzz topic on the PCT this year. It's hard to find, heavy to carry, and needs to be filtered. High maintenance. below is what had to climb, and luckily I got there before the sun.
Eventually I made it to the first real destination on the PCT, Lake Morena campground at mile 20, where I cooked a pretty lame breakfast of oatmeal and coffee. Did I mention that I hate my trail food? I really dropped the ball in my food planning. I'm really starting to get hungry too and I need those calories, so I cant wait to buy some real food (real enough) when I reach a market. Right before Lake Morena, I passed a group of what must have been 30 middle aged day hikers, and they recognized me as a dirty PCT hiker, and they asked me dozens of questions. weird, and I can imagine the same questions over and over might wear on you by the time one reaches Washington, for example. I also met PCT hikers from Germany, Tazmania, and Russia. 
I was feeling ok at this time, and it was only 10 am, so I spent some time fastening my solar panel to the back of my pack so it can charge my phone while I hike. It works great.
When I set out hiking again, shit went downhill pretty fast. The desert provided no shade and the temps were rising. I did stock up with 6 liters of water, but my body started to yell at me.
As the day wore on, my lack of sleep had exhausted my body. I felt dizzy, and I was constantly hearing the sound of helicopters, but there were none. I was also completely alone for hours, which is great, but strange. My feet were killing me too with the heat and my pack weight. They felt like they were put through a meat grinder, so I made it to a campground in the middle of the sizzling Cottonwood valley and tore off my shoes and socks. No blisters, which is great, but my feet were swollen almost double in size. I washed them off and elevated them in the air for about an hour. 
I could have passed out right there but pushed on. I crossed a busy highway and found Native American Morters in the granite on the other side. Very cool.
I hobbled in the heat upwards for the next few hours, head down and charging. A day hiker walking South told me I have a violent hiking style, head down, fast and lumbering. I'll show him.
I climbed down, through and over Cottonwood Valley and continued up. 
I knew that my body was telling me to stop and rest, but I stubbornly kept going. I realize that this is not wise and potentially dangerous in the heat and I'm trying to slow down, rest more, and listen to my body. I didn't choose the thug life, the thug life chose me.

At the end of the day, I was done and stopped at Fred Canyon and ate some re-hydrated re-fried beans, which didn't suck, but wasn't any good either. I needed water for my 10 mile climb to Mount Laguna tomnorrow, and I need to make it there by 11am to get my resupply package, or I have to wait until Monday...It's on!
I left the canyon and hobbled a mile up to the ridge and walked a mile on a dirt road near a campground where I filled up water and I'm currently stealth camping (camping in the woods hidden). 

I decided to camp near this sign.
That should make for an entertaining walk should nature call in the middle of the night. 

My body hurts and I'm mentally fatigued, but nobody said this would be easy. I'm absolutely loving every minute, every challenge, hardship, and triumph so far in my hike. I can't wait to wake up and start hiking. And it's only day 2!










1 comment:

  1. I am really glad I started reading your blog. I am going to keep it up too . Thanks MUCH

    ReplyDelete