Friday, April 24, 2015

Day 9, Meet me in Idyllwild

Part 1, The Desert, Day 9
Meet me in Idyllwild
Miles: 5
PCT Mile: 179
This morning was miserable. I woke up at 5am to the sound of rain on my tent and quickly started to pack up my gear. It was sprinkling now, but I didn't want to stick around for the downpour. I went outside and found my tent drenched, but managed to stuff the muddy mess into my pack anyways, getting myself muddy in the process. I quickly started down the trail, not even in my rain gear, just wanting to get out of this spot. It was cold, windy, and rainy.
As I mumbled obscenities while maintaining a brisk pace, I had to decide my plan for the day. In 5 miles, I'd be at highway 74, where the PCT is closed for 20 miles due to the Mountain Fire 2 years ago. The options were to hitch 18 miles to Idyllwild, my  next resupply point, walk the 18 miles on the road, or take a shady detour that was a patchwork of old dirt roads and hunting trails that was unfinished, and for which I had no map. I had planned for the road walk, but those plans would change. When I got to the highway, it was a complete white-out, but I did find a beacon of hope.
The Paradise Valley Cafe, one mile West? Yes please. I was starving, as it happens when I reach my resupply points, and I turned West into the thick fog and rain. I couldn't see 5 feet in front of me, and I can't imagine driving on that highway, but cars flew by, appearing only seconds after I saw the lights through the fog.
After walking the mile and being completely soaked and shivering, the sign appeared like a mirage in the desert. 
I wandered up looking like a drowned rat to find a small gang of equally disheveled PCT hikers waiting for the 8am opening. I looked at the time; 8:01 am. It was destiny. The doors opened and we all sheltered in. I drank a few cups of coffee to warm up, and the waitresses, who love hikers apparently, were so great. They were real throwbacks, calling everyone "hun," etc. It was a great respite from the weather. I ordered this badboy:
The food was great, but I immediately felt nauseous after eating it, probably because I'd been eating meager, disgusting trail food for awhile. In any case, I hung out awhile to avoid the rain, and asked all the other hikers what there plan was to get to Idyllwild. Everyone was hitch-hiking. The 18 mile and two highways walk was, apparently, very dangerous. There is no shoulder, and cars speed by and in this low visibility rain and fog,it would be unwise. I thought of my throbbing feet, my drenched and muddy gear, my wet clothes, and the weather that was forecast for the next 2 days, and decided to hitch to Idyllwild. It was an easy choice considering the circumstances, and one I did not make lightly. It was the only choice. I put on all my rain gear, and my rain cover and headed for the highway.
After about 20 minutes of no cars stopping, I assumed they simply couldn't see me in time due to the fog, and I was right. A massive truck flew by and came back a few minutes later. A man named Caleb, who said he didn't see me the first time, picked me up. He asked if I was a PCT Hiker, because there isn't much difference in appearance between Thru hikers and vagrants, but locals like to help hikers. Caleb dropped me off 10 miles down the highway.
I started hitching again, something I'm not too good at, or fond of, but after 15 minutes, a women named Melinda picked me up. I sat in back next to her kids, who were on the way to school. They asked a bunch of questions about the trail and were very nice people. 20 minutes later, I was in Idyllwild. 
I wandered to a bakery called the Town Baker to charge my phone at an outlet and escape the rain. The bakery is owned and operated by former PCT Thru Hikers and I was welcomed with a discount and they said I could camp out back if I wanted. It was a great welcome to Idyllwild.
I signed their hiker register and bought a cinnamon roll because of all the hype it had in the register. Things shouldn't be allowed to taste this good...
I thanked them and set about town to wander. It is a beautiful mountain town and very hiker friendly. I wandered to a few Inns, but quickly found no vacancies or too high prices, so I did what I've been doing and paid 3 bucks to camp at San Jacinto State Park, which even has showers! 
I went to the outfitters and bought a new fuel canister for my stove.
It was around 3pm and I was so tired and needed to rest my feet, so I set up my soaking filthy tent and climbed inside and half-passed out for an hour while it rained outside. 
I had not showered since I started hiking so I went to the coin operated showers and was thrilled that the water was semi-warm. Good thing I brought soap. The shower was amazing, though I had to air dry in the freezing cold.
This is a very charming town, and tomorrow I have many errands to run before I hike again. I may go to the Lumber Mill because they word is they have a real awkward karaoke night on Fridays, but I need to sleep too. 
After the last 150 mile stretch, it feels incredible to regroup. Though I'm very anxious to get back on the trail. 


2 comments:

  1. Your day looked like a day in Oregon..rainy and gloomy..glad you got a respite from the rain and a shower...hope you found time for some karoke! keep on truckin...Connie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie, I walked by the karaoke and looked on the window. There was one very old man who was singing karaoke.... And he was the only person in the bar. It was far too bizzare for me to stick around, so i moved on. I regret not video taping it.

      Delete