Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Day 71, Magic at the Pass

Part 3, Northern California, Day 71
Magic at the Pass
Miles: 23.82
PCT Mile 1092.9
*****Days 68-71 are up. To continue the journey, go to day 68.
day 70 is in the middle of the menu
Last night was amazing. The fire illuminated the Eastern skyline and the stars lit up the sky. My camp spot was quite special, and I woke up at 5 am to an amazing sunset. I began my hike at 6:30. I spent some time searching for water because I was so thirsty. I should add that now that I'm in Northern California, water is less abundant than it was in the Sierra. I ran out last night and went to sleep thirsty. I forgot to mention yesterday that I screwed up mapping a water source and was forced to filter water from a nasty stagnant puddle no bigger than a football, as Logan watched and laughed. It was gross.
The smoke slowly began to fill the valley. I noticed that the wind shifted this morning and was blowing West, toward the PCT. I learned that the fire had grown to 19,000 acres overnight and was 0% contained. Good thing I went through it when I did!
This stretch of wilderness is utterly gorgeous. Too bad for all the hikers who skipped it and hitched around to Tahoe.
Logan and I hiked our separate ways since we had different plans for town. It was great hiking with him and I'll see him again for sure. At 10am I came to Carson Pass and found trail magic! 
Now that I'm out of the Sierra, trail magic has returned. The docents from the museum/store had food and drinks for us hikers. I ate a delicious apple, homemade  cookies, and a bunch of other crap. 
I actually had a stomach ache from all the   food I ate. There was a scale there and I weigh 150. I don't ever remember weighing that little. Maybe middle school. I should eat more. 
I learned a lot from the docents about Kit Carson, the area, and the Gold Rush. What amazing history. An hour later I took off towards Tahoe. 
There were legions of day hikers. They all asked me about my thru hike and gave me high fives and stuff. Thru hikers develop big egos, and these day hikers catered to mine. I must admit, It feels good! I think everyone has a desire for adventure in some form, so maybe people like seeing a real life adventure, or something. 
The trail was unreal. It was like I was in The Sound of Music, without all the music.
Smoke filled the sky, and local day hikers apologizes that I couldn't see their wild in it's true form. I thought it was beautiful anyways!
As the day wore on, I began to wear out. By day's end, I would hike 23 miles. That's 75 miles in two and a half days, and over 30 of those miles was through a forest fire. I was done. Mentally and physically Exhausted. I decided to race to highway 50 and hitch to Tahoe tonight instead of waiting until tomorrow. 
I stumbled for hours until I hit the road at 5pm. I met a super nice woman who's hiking the Tahoe Rim Trail in a week and she gave me a ride 10 miles to South Lake Tahoe. I'm way too tired to explain too much more, so tune in next time for my big zero's.

13 comments:

  1. I hope that you are listening to "Fire on the Mountain" and "Great Balls of Fire" on your iPhone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was listening to The Marshall Tucker Band and that inspired the title. Hiking by the fire was one of my favorite moments so far! I keep thinking of how much fun you're gonna have when you hike the trail, Mike! You're gonna kill it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Grateful Dead also have a song entitled "Fire on the Mountain"! I have been learning a lot while reading your blog...if all goes well I will retire after two more years and be able to thru hike the PCT when I'm 62. Keep up the great postings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to make it through the fire and mosquitos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeremy. I just found out that fire weather is coming all week starting when I hike out of Tahoe. Strong winds, high temps, and constant thunderstorms....I'm going to burn to death.

      Delete
  5. Have been concerned for you, as there are so many fires. No need to be superman! The anxiety of not knowing what a fire may do! Since, you are in Tahoe, it feels like you are close and that is a nice feeling. Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie, I do feel lucky to have safely made it through. The next week is filled with thunder storms, lightning, and wind, with high temps...extreme fire weather. I'm heading out Sunday and although I'm nervous, I'm gonna go for it. Throughout this hike I've been constantly tested by fear, and I get a little more courage with each ordeal. I just hope I don't make the wrong decision.

      Delete
  6. Hey Brett. Your dad told us that you were hiking into the fire so I sure am glad to see you made it out the other side unscorched! Sounded harrowing. Congratulations on hiking 1000 miles. That is just darn impressive. You should be VERY proud. Wishing you a mosquito free Northern Cal section of the trail. We will be following along and cheering. Take good care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren, hiking past the fire was so exhilarating, but the night I was near the flames I didn't sleep too well. Now that I'm on NorCal, I feel much more at home. I also get to watch the Giants when I'm in town, so I'm happy!

      Delete
  7. Brett, I would add one of my favorite songs to get you through...Johnny Cash's "I stepped in to a burning ring of fire." Pictures and blogs continue to be most entertaining. Be careful with those Alpine Meadow analogies to the Sound of Music. There could still be some Nazi's lurking in those lovely meadows. Carry on!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that Cash song is a good one. And I've never actually seen the sound of music, I've just heard it has somethingbto do with Nazis. I hope I'm not out of line here...

      Delete
  8. this is still badass dude.
    -a-man

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wondering where you went Andrew, but it's good to see you're still reading this. I know things can get really exciting and dangerous in North Dakota! Keep reading and commenting, I need that shit.

      Delete