Saturday, June 20, 2015

Day 67, 1,000 miles to Sonora Pass

Part 2, The Sierra Nevada, Day 67
1,000 miles to Sonora Pass
Miles: 24.64
PCT Mile: 1016.43
**days 62-67 are up. To continue following my hike where we left off, go to day 62.
Today almost broke me. I think I am stronger for it now, but what a crazy day. First I must apologize for not posting as many pictures on this post. I woke up and my camera memory was full. I freaked. I deleted some apps and un-used pics to clear space, but I wondered how I'd take pictures and keep this blog. I think I can purchase space from iCloud, so I'll try that. 
I woke up at 5am and read for an hour because it was too cold outside, plus I wasn't sure if the skeeters were out. At 6:30 I made a move and it seemed safe to pack up. I hike on at 7 through the same wet marshland I hiked through yesterday. 
The mosquitoes ambushed me. It was an all out assault. I kept moving because stopping meant defeat. I did stop, however, for these world class views:
It was impossible not to get my feet wet here. Hiking through all of this was like walking through a minefield. I moved at a great pace and was flying, though my foot was incredibly tender. I'm using ibuprofen on the foot that has a deep bone bruise. It hurts like hell, but I can't let the skeeters find my weakness; they will use it to hurt me. I hiked all morning, stopping only once for a bathroom break, and you can imagine how that went while being swarmed. 
I was not having too much fun today. This section was getting me, but the mosquitoes are the worst part. They are very agitating, because I can't rest even for a moment without getting swarmed. They're getting to me...
I'm also simply exhausted. My body is in pain, and this section has beaten the shit out of me. I was very low today. I came to Dorothy Lake:
This was a beautiful lake located in mosquito headquarters. I had to wear a bandanna around my face so I wouldn't inhale them. I saw a southbound hiker do the same. This was also where strange things happened electronically. My phone would freeze for about 5 minutes at a time, and my GPS wouldn't work. It was out all day, so I was kind of in the dark, though I had paper maps. I blame the mosquitoes, of course. 
I left Yosemite National Park and entered Stanislaus National Forest. 
I was moving fast and came across this trail message:
Can you read this? I'VE HIKED 1,000 MILES!!!!!!! Crazy! The celebration was pathetic. With no fanfare, I mumbled something or other, and hiked on. I planned to bring a mini liquor bottle of something, but the mosquitoes and my full phone memory spoiled the party. It's quite a feat though. At noon I came to this bridge.
I found this note near the trail, and I normally don't post these, but this made me feel good. I'm not the only one in an eternal battle with the mozzies:
I ate lunch and noticed the wind picking up. I guess it's because I've been climbing steadily toward 11,000 feet today on my way to Sonora Pass, the agreed upon end of the Sierra Nevada section. As I made my way up, the landscape became exposed, yet deeply stunning.
It was already 3 pm and I had a long way to go. With the wind picking up and the exposed pass above me, I did not want to have to camp up there. I went into overdrive. 
You can see the switchbacks I hiked up:
The view of the other side looked nice and green:
And below is the valley I hike up to get to the top.
The only problem was that I wasn't at the top of Sonora Pass, not even close. The trail was barely hanging on to the side of the mountain with a sheer drop off. Here's the worst part; the wind was raging at over 50 mph. 
For some reason the steepness isn't apparent on the photos. I treaded lightly. 
Geez! These photos make me feel like a wimp. Trust me, it was steep. The wind was loathsome. I couldn't even think, and it was worse than the wind in the desert. I walked as fast and as carefully as I could. When I reached the other side of the mountain, I was in sweet relief.
On this side, I had to go through sketchy snow fields. 
It's amazing how the switch from granite to volcanic landscapes was instantaneous, and on the very day I'm transitioning from the Sierra Nevada to Northern California. 
I finally crossed over Sonora Pass and the land to the North was beautiful.
I could find no flat spots to camp so I just decided to hike on and have a big day. 
I was in a better mood hiking down the pass, probably because I resupply tomorrow, but mostly because this section is done and NorCal awaits. I stealth camped near highway 108 and will hitchhike tomorrow morning. I need a break so bad.
Goodnight!

8 comments:

  1. 1000 Miles, Congrats! Must feel great moving into Northern California. Still amazing how the terrain changes so quickly. The Sonora Pass looked wicked. Hope you get some good rest at your next zero, am thinking you need it badly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1,000 miles is a big milestone, but at the time, I was in a foul mood and just hiked on. Maybe it was the mosquitoes. Being in NorCal, however, feels amazing! It feels like home.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon. Now I can finally sing along to The Proclaimers' song " and I would walk 500 miles, and would walk 500 more...." And mean it!

      Delete
  3. You're doing great Brett! Savor every step of the journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mike. The further North I get, the more I realize how special each step is. It's incredible!

      Delete
  4. Well this was nice to stumble across. I'm LoJo and my partner is KC, we hiked with our late friend Sparrow most of the trail and you posted a picture of our note in this post. I've spent the past hour reliving our trip through your photos. It's bittersweet and makes me ache for the trail. Hope you're well, stranger, and that you'd had many more epic hikes in the years since this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for this comment, this is some cosmic trail stuff! Such a cool coincidence, and your note cheered me up on a rough trail day. I'm sure those of us who left our hearts on the trail will find our way back some summer. I hope every time you and KC put on your hiking shoes and go get some trail, you feel close to your friend sparrow. that's what it's all about. Take care

      Delete