Saturday, March 7, 2015

Mount Manuel hike, Big Sur, Ca


11 miles
3000 feet elevation gain
I figured that this hike would be a great training hike because of the distance, elevation gain, exposure + lack of water, and challenging trail conditions. It turned out to be epic, and a good mental challenge. I'm testing this blog post as an iPhone entry so bear with me.

It was like summer today. I couldn't have asked for a better day to hike. The trail climbed up from the Big Sur Gorge, one of my favorite places, and I could see the River wind up into the Ventana Wilderness. Every time I looked up, the trail was visible going all the way up into the sky, portending the climb ahead of me.

The view was beautiful! The Big Sur River valley became gradually smaller as I ascended, and the coast showing up behind Pfeiffer Ridge.
The trail started to get very thin with the hill plummeting down a thousand feet to the river. I was spending so much time looking at the valley that I got dizzy with vertigo a few times! It was insanely steep.
 
Then came the washouts. The first left inches of trail, with little traction. (The picture does it no justice)
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous, but I figured that the PCT has a bunch of precarious moments. So I steeled my nerves and slowly and carefully made it across. The trail continued to climb as it weaved through canyons with Redwoods and Black Oaks.
I eventually came to a dangerous wash out that had no traction or vegetation to hold on to.
Again, the picture doesn't tell the whole story here. It was pretty dicey, and I could find no alternative, and failure was NOT an option. After a small panic attack, I carefully made it across. Be strong for the PCT, Brett! I eventually turned s corner and got my first view of the Ventana Double Cone and it's surrounding peaks. My jaw dropped like it should.
These mountains are special. I admired them for what seemed like a long time, then continued to bushwhack up the mountain. 
I eventually made it to the summit and met some other hikers. I was so busy talking to them, and there wasn't much space, so I failed to get a pic. Sorry! I made my way down with a big smile as my eyes were glued to the wonderful Ventana Cones. 
Kandlebinder Peak, Ventana Double Cone
Just a fabulous hike, and after all that bush-whacking, I found only one tick crawling on my leg. The Ventana Wilderness will see me again very soon. P.s, this iPhone posting isn't so bad, but I may still get a keyboard so that I can write the way I like to write, but a keyboard adds like 10 + ounces. Decisions decisions.... 

Ventana Double Cone

No comments:

Post a Comment