Saturday, May 23, 2015

Day 37, Break on Through

Part 1, The Desert, Day 37
Break on Through
Miles: 17.35
PCT Mile: 617.35

         Days 36 and 37 are up. 
My camp spot was great last night. I was sheltered all night from the pounding wind, and I slept well. I woke up at 4am and it was wet and windy outside, so I slept and read until it was light out. Here was my view all morning.
I went outside to check out the weather and it was wet, windy, and very misty. My tent and shoes were soaked.
You will recall yesterday and my 19 miles of mist walking. Well today, thunderstorms were forecast and it looked like that would happen. I read in my tent until 9am wondering if it would rain and if I should wait it out. I'm in the middle of an 8 day stretch in the wild and if I get my gear wet, it could be a long week. I couldn't wait in that tent any longer. I made the decision to hike, and I packed up my stuff and my soaked tent in record time.
I was soaking wet within minutes, but I walked faster. I knew that my base layers and sleeping bag were in dry bags, and if needed, I could probably put wet clothes in my sleeping bag with me and my body heat would dry them out. I realize that I am freaking out about simply getting wet, but the situation had me in the middle of nowhere, and I was completely alone. I couldn't even see five feet in front of me, and since I have no means of contacting help in case of an emergency, I have to go over all scenarios in my head. This one was easy; keep hiking. 
I stopped at Robin Bird Spring to get water:
It was cold out and filtering was a chore, but I didn't trust this spring completely because of the cattle, so I put bleach in my water.
I reached the other side of the mountain and there was a complete whiteout. It was awesome! There was no wind on this side too, so I realized something.
I was in an extremely large cloud. Once I heard the birds chirping in the mist, I knew it wasn't a storm coming and I was very relieved. 
It was still wet and cold though, and my immediate goal was to get out of this cloud I'd been in for the last 25 miles. 
Eventually, I saw a bit if blue sky, and it motivated me to charge on. 
I was beginning to see the beautiful forest I'd been missing when I was in the cloud. I was still in it, but I was reaching the end.
I found this spring that was covered in algae. Good thing I didn't need water:
It felt so good to get off that mountain and into the pine forest. I was still weary of these large storm clouds overhead, but anything was better than that cloud.
It felt like I was getting closer to the Sierra Nevada, and it was pretty exciting. I had my latest start today, and carrying 6 liters of water was making my progress slow. I needed some sun to dry my tent out, or it could be a wet night.
After ten miles, I had a difficult time finding the spring that was on my map, but I eventually found Landers Camp Spring. I filled up everything I had, 6.5 liters. The water sources are few out here, and it seems that the ones that aren't dry are drying up fast. Hopefully I won't have to haul so much water in the near future.
I dried out my tent in the meadow, since the sun finally came out.
It was already 2pm and I'd only hiked 10 miles. It felt like being late for school or work. I headed out in the newly sunny day and the forest was beautiful.
I briefly entered a small burn zone:
I crossed a dirt road and would descend for 2,000 feet, and when I turned a corner I was met with stunning views of mountainous desert.
This view felt different to me than any so far. I felt like I'd really come to someplace very distant and it felt like I was starting a new adventure in some way.
It was gorgeous out, and very windy. The afternoon was getting late and my body was doing it's usual pain dance. 
I felt humbled by these views. There was something venerable and wild about this place, and it commanded my respect. 
I hit the desert floor and walked for a bit until I found a flat spot that was sheltered from the wind. I was alone all day today, and it was pretty special. I set up my tent in a dry creek bed. There's hoof prints and cow shit everywhere here, and normally this wouldn't be a concern, but I can hear cows lowing somewhere in the distance and I don't want my tent to be in the way of some midnight stampede. I guess we'll find out! 
I set up camp early so I could charge my phone and just relax. It's nice for once to just sit and watch the sky. I opened up the food laboratory:
I barely ate today because it was so wet early on, so I made this beauty; spam, mac and cheese, with melted cheese:
Really good! I also made this mix of hot chocolate and coffee, which was delicious.
A bad start to the day turned into a great day. I'm 3 days into this 8 day stretch, and can't believe that I've barely seen anyone out here. Early start tomorrow, as there are some daunting water carries ahead. I'm under the stars tonight, so hopefully they put on a show.



3 comments:

  1. Your pictures are better than National Geographic and yes it is a new visual experience. Almost spiritual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Connie. You have something special going on here Brett. Keep the Couch Potatoes posted...and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything I do out here is foul. I eat with my hands, and we all know where they've been .

    ReplyDelete