Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Why The Pacific Crest Trail?

In Spring 2015, I will attempt a northbound thru-hike of The Pacific Crest Trail. My goal to walk solo from the border of Mexico to Canada will take me through 3 US states, (4 if you count the mighty State of Jefferson) over 60 mountain passes, through 37 wildernesses, 7 national parks and 24 national forests; a total of approximately 2,660 miles over roughly 5-6 months.

In addition to the physical challenge of walking nearly a marathon each day, I'll be mapping out water sources and mailing food to designated post offices and hubs along the way. I'll ford rivers, cross the Sierra Nevada and Cascade mountain ranges, the Sonoran and Mojave Deserts, pass more than 1,000 lakes and descend into 19 major canyons. Due to snowfall in the Sierra and near Canada, thru-hiking is only possible within a 5 month window from the end of April through the end of September.

I first heard about this epic trek about 8 years ago and bought the Wilderness Press guide books, which I'd read over and over throughout the years as I dreamed of hiking the trail, though I never thought I'd actually have the chance to hike it. I have that opportunity now, and this trail has become my white whale. I love to hike, etc., but what I really desire is to see the wild and beautiful places of this magnificent country before we manage to turn them into a parking lot. I want to test myself. I want to be uncomfortable and maybe feel some fear and some joy. I want to feel myself slow to the natural pace of the landscape. I want to experience true freedom. This winter so far has been a flutter of training, preparation, apprehension, excitement, and obsession. Let's do this.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment